1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shielding an aluminum pickguard

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dls59, Jul 19, 2007.

1. dls59

dls59 Supporting Member

I just bought an anodized aluminum pickguard for my SX P bass. Not sure if I need to shield the underside, like a plastic pickguard. Anyone know if it's necessary?

Thanks.

2. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    No, you don't need to shield it additionally as it is conductive, and I use just regular aluminium foil. But it must be connected to the ground.

3. dls59

dls59 Supporting Member

Thanks, Tim. I usually use the sheets of adhesive-backed copper when shielding cavities and guards, but I'm glad to not have to do it on this one.

By the way, I love your WWBGD sig. I love to watch that show. He seems so unassuming, but he's nails.

4. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I recently got an aluminum pickguard with attached control plate for my MIM J, but it has made me realize just how badly the rest of the bass is shielded. Now, the neck PU is quiet since it is surrounded by the pickguard, but the bridge PU is extremely noisy now. Going to have to invest in some copper shielding tape I guess

5. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    My pleasure....and thanks!

6. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    Are the pots going through it? Then, no, you don't need to do anything because they are grounded.

If you notice a change in tone, it might be caused by the pickguard.