shielding an ATK 400

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 44CALIBREKILLER, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Hi guys,

i am currently carrying out a shielding exercise on my ATK and am pretty sure i have got it sussed.

just one thing has came up and i am looking for some advice.

I have read in some posts that you do not shield the bridge with an active bass, but there appears to be a wire running from the output jack to the bridge in my bass and when i touch the bridge/strings i lose the hum.

I was sure that my guitar was active, pre amp, battery, etc.

Can anyone offer some advice?

2. The ATK is active, and yeah, it does have a ground running to the bridge

Would like to know about this aswell, how did you go about putting the shielding in? take the whole circuit board out and then shield it? how do you know it wont be shorted when its back in?

(sorry, more questions than answers)
  3. I have pretty much got everything out.

i have taken the switch off, taken the knobs off the pre amp and it is loose inside the cavity.

i am going to un solder(?) the wires to the switch and the jack and remove everything tonight.

i ahve traced all the earths out and am pretty confident of making sure i get them all down again, although i reckon i will have to bare some of the cabling back to get more on the pup individual wires.

everything seems to earth via the switch, so i reckon its pretty much like for like.

if i can bare enough wire back i will try to star earth it, like some of the other posts, however, if i can't, i will take a supplementary earth from the switch down to the copper/jack.

i will take photos and get them to you as i am doing it.