shielding around the pickup lead wire

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dooft11, Jun 19, 2005.

1. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    dear all i am facing a problem, since i have to remove the pickup from the body for a repaint, i have to somehow take away the black heat shrink tubing of the bart pup which wrap and hold the four individual leading together, and i find that black tubing has metal shielding inside, from the internet i learned that those are the heat shrink tubing with coating for shielding the wire inside, my question is do i really need that, can i go without it, if i strip off those tube to remove the pickup, do i really need to wrap the four leading wire together under shielding to have the pickup working?>
    seriously need help.
  2. Audere

Audere Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 7, 2005
    South Beach, OR
    Owner: Audere Audio
    The pickup will work correctly without the shielding but will pickup more noise and this may or may not be critical in your environment. If you have alternative shielding then you could skip this additional shielding with little to no effect.
  3. jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    Nomally you would leave all the wires from the pickup intact and just unsolder them from the pots etc in the control cavity
  4. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    thanks so much for the care and concern man, dear jeff, my situation is the hole connecting the pup cave and the control cav are pretty small, which the four wire from each pup almost filled the hole... either the last owner or the builder had lead the wire thu from the pup cav to the control cav and than he applied the shielded tubing.
    If i have to remove the pickup completely, damaging the tubing seems cant be avoided.
    however, i just thinking if....i can leave the wire in hte hole and unsolder the wire at the pickup point.... it sounds a bit danger but may work!!