1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

shielding Bartolini p-ups?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by miziomix, Sep 16, 2010.

1. miziomix

miziomix Über on my mind Commercial User

Sep 28, 2009
    Milan, Kuala Lumpur, Paris.
    Bass builder @ MüB.
    Does anyone know whether it is necessary to shield Bartolini pick ups? I seem to recall that EMG and Bartolini can be mounted without shielding. I don't see any on my old Tobias - which mounts Bartolini - and Jay-Dee. So I was wondering...

But if it has to be done, should I paint the entire cavity up to the top edge? Thanks :bassist:

2. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    How many leads are coming from the pup?

3. miziomix

Sep 28, 2009
    Bass builder @ MüB.
    It looks like 3 to me. The p-up is a X Shape Narrow Soapbar X44CBJD - Classic Bass Series.

4. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    That's internally shielded. :)

5. miziomix

Sep 28, 2009
    Bass builder @ MüB.
    Cool! Just what I was hoping to hear ;) thanks mw

6. Sort of an off topic question, but doesn't shielding go to ground? If so, wouldn't you only need two leads, ground and hot?

7. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    I think that's a humbucker where they give you the center tap, someone correct me if I'm wrong. But the ideal situation would be where you have a separate lead for the shielding so you can do phase reversing and still have your shielding.

8. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Usually 4 leads to do a coil-tap. The three leads are: send, return, and shield. IME

The other ground is for the Faraday cage around the wiring.

9. scojack

scojack

Apr 1, 2009
    Scotland
    Hmm 3 leads for a coil tap methinks.. begining(hot), middle and end (of the pickup wire).
    The middle and end become ground depending on where the switch is set.
    Doesnt mean this PU is tapped though..could be hot and ground from the pu wire + another wire from internal shielding or an extra ground connected to the magnet/rail inside the pup..you would have to check this out. Grounds like this are better connected str to the jack on a seperate wire.

Wheres Mr Schwab when u need him (SGD Luthierie)? :cool: (In case im talkin bollocks :))

Why not try it without first and see? Add the shielding if required.
    Also i would recommend copper foil over paint every time.

10. miziomix

Sep 28, 2009
    Bass builder @ MüB.
    I'm gonna do just that. ...got paint a'ready ;) Why do you prefer copper foil? thanks

11. scojack

scojack

Apr 1, 2009
    Scotland
    Its just a far better conductor than paint imho.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021