1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shielding didn't kill the Radio Star....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sharkman, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Sharkman

Sharkman

Apr 23, 2004
    Portugal
    Well, another shielding thread....

I totally shielded my bass today, PU routs, wires, covers, full cavity... shielding. My voltmeter beeps all over the bass like a bad word on TV.

I plug it in... let's crank it up.... All I hear is "Radio Gaga".

What is going on? I did the shielding job just to prevent this. Can I only play gainless bass? Me like overdrive much!

Are there other possible causes?

Any help is welcome.

2. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Jun 10, 2007
    have you tried with another cable or amp?

3. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Shielding tape, or paint? If tape, use your multimeter to check for low or zero resistance between sheets. Solder them together if you have to. Then check for low or zero resistance from the shielding to the ground on the jack. Good thing to do if you used the paint, as well.

Also realize that many things can cause a bass to buzz. Computers, fluorescent lights, dimmer switches, etc. Turn off everything you can. Even then, there's a chance that the room you're in is just simply electrically noisy. Try as many different rooms as you can.

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    In my experience, the most common cause of radio pickup is a dodgy ground connection somewhere in the input circuit. It could be a cracked solder joint at the input jack of the amp. That's where I would look first. Of course, if you open up an amp, you have to do it safely.

5. Sharkman

Sharkman

Apr 23, 2004
    Portugal
    Thank you all.

The shielding tape was thoroughly tested (that thing cuts through skin really easy!).
    Surely the house has terrible grounding.
    And the PC is in the same mains outlet so.... :oops:

I'll have to cleanup for garage band!

E um agradecimento directamente para o Rio!

6. Yvarg

Yvarg Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    Are you hearing the radio through your bass, or is it just buzzing a lot?