Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shielding: for the lazy and untrained

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jazzin', May 26, 2005.

1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Hey, I have an unshielded MIM Fender Jazz bass, there isn't a terrible amount of noise, but there is some. Since I have no soldering abilities n'or do I have soldering equipment; what is the cheapest/easiest way to shield my bass? Is only shielding the pickguard (with some flat foil right under the pickguard) sufficient enough to reduce most noise? And does the foil have to be special foil? Or can it be just any aluminum foil?

2. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    I used aluminum foil in mine, and it's as quiet as a mouse. The next bass (which I am building) I will probably use aluminum tape - the same tape that I used on my air conditioning ducts. I got it at Home Depot.

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
  4. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    +1

Exacly the link I was getting ready to reference!

FWIW coper foil is relatively easy to work with. I sheild the cavity sides first, and then use a template I have to cover the bottom with a single piece. This is on a rear routed J-body.

I also include a section of foil under the bridge, and solder the ground wire to this foil in order to maximize the grounding surface and minimize the potential for the wire to wiggle to a non-contact position. If done carefully, you'll never see any of the copper foil once the bridge is installed.

R

5. jointus

jointus

Sep 20, 2003
    SATX
    Here's a common link about shielding: link

6. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Would it work if I didn't solder it?

7. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Just go out and buy a $10 soldering iron from your preferred discount store. It should come with more than enough solder, and you can practice on some scrap wire and you'll be good to go in 15 minutes...it really isn't that hard! Not only will it be done right, you'll have the feeling of accomplishment that many DIYer's are used to!

8. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    Yes. You don't need to ground to the shielding. Grounding to the bridge plate works fine. The shielding will block out most interference from the outside - it doesn't need to be grounded.

9. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    No, the shielding must be grounded. Otherwise it's just metal in your bass not doing anything. The entire point is that it must be grounded.