Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

shielding help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Milothicus, Nov 23, 2001.

1. My bass is humming horribly. i thought it was my cheap amp, but then i changed amps and it's still there.

i know there's no shielding in my bass. can anyone tell me where i can get a kit for shielding? i seem to remember reading about one a few years ago, but i didn't think i needed it.

can i do it with regular tinfoil or do i need specific types?

do any of you know of any online resources that would explain the easiest way to do it? i assume i could just glue it in, but i'd rather do it properly, and right now, i have no idea what properly is.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    You can pick up some copper tape at a stained glass store or go to www.carvin.com and they have a shielding kit.

3. do i need to shield just the control cavity? or do i need to shield the entire route from pickups to control cavity?

4. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    As long as the wire from the pickups to the controls is sheilded you just need to shield the cavity. Ground (solder) the shield (braided wire) to the sheilding in the cavity.

5. Carvins shielding kit is great. But it may not help certain types of buzz. If you have J style pickups you may not be able to get rid of the buzz. Does it buzz in all amps? Have you tried other basses in your amp? Any Computers, neon, or TV's on when you hear the buz? Properly usually means that the seams are soldered closed, the shielding is connected to the ground plane, the control cover is shielded as well.

6. i had the same problem with 2 other amps and my bass. i haven't tried any other basses in my amp, though.

the buzzing gets better if i place myself at a certain angle and position to the amp. this, i would assume, indicates that the buzzing is a shielding issue, and not a problem with either my bass or my amp.

7. David Parker

David Parker

Nov 24, 2001
    I'm not a pro a bass set up, but I had the same problem with a bass after installing hotter pickups. I lined the cavity under the pickups with aluminum foil and ran a ground wire to it. Guitar went silent. The foil is useless unless it is grounded.

8. what kind of bass is it?

9. David Parker

David Parker

Nov 24, 2001
    Rogue 5 string, el cheapo store brand from musicians friend. Bought it cause it was so cheap, I thought I'd have some fun playing with it. Has a nice neck.