1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Shielding Jazz Bass Bridge Pickup

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by christopantz, Feb 11, 2017.

1. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    This sentence indicates that you're doing something wrong. Shielding should have zero effect on the output level of your bass. Please post some pics so people on here can help you diagnose the problem.

kulit17 likes this.
  2. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

Shield the wire route 100% as well. The spray shielding paint on a Q tip works perfectly for that. Shield the pickup covers and make sure your shielding is electrically connected to go under.

Worked awesome on my Affinity Jazz.

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Well you could build a Faraday cage big enough to play in, with all the AC gear outside. Might be a wee bit of overkill.

4. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I've heard tell of someone using a flexible pile cleaner dipped in shielding paint to get into the smaller pickup wire routes.

5. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    When did Fender quit using noiseless pickups in their Deluxes basses?

I've flipped quite a few MIM Deluxe Jazz basses and every one of them had noiseless pups and they were all dead quiet when plugged in.

You might want to take the pots off the control plate and clean up the plate adjecent to the holes. IIRC the master volume pot has a big toothed solder lug that goes between the plate and the pot that i'm pretty sure grounds the pre. Do you have a solid connection between your control plate and your foil. I always just run a few little tabs of foil out of the cavity then fold them over so they sandwich between the plate and body. And has been mentioned, insure your bridge ground is solid in both ends.

Last of all, i've never had to shield my pup wires but couldn't you wrap them in a thin strip of copper foil? Start at the pup end and spirial the foil like you would if you were taping a couple of wires together then shove that through the hole?

Maybe this will help?
    https://p4.zdassets.com/hc/theme_assets/549136/200076499/013-6700B_SISD.pdf

6. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

I used a Q tip. Just spray the paint in a cup, dip the Q tip in and run it through the hole. It took 3 coats.

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    It is hard to shield a single coil pickup completely

8. Manticore

Manticore

Feb 27, 2016
    SoCal
    Buy a new bass, and keep buying new basses until you find one without this obvious problem. Keep the old ones to remind yourself of what isn't working for you. ;)

9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I think the Deluxe line always had humbuckers. Noiseless pickups (humbuckers) will not have any impact on RF interference, which is what shielding addresses. They only address 60hz noise, the noise you get when you favour one pickup. In my experience, it isn't uncommon to get a Fender Deluxe that still hums.

10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I guess i've been lucky then.

11. christopantz

christopantz

Sep 16, 2015
    It's got the noiseless pickups, but frankly, mine are far from noiseless. No clue why.

12. christopantz

christopantz

Sep 16, 2015
    As requested by some, here's a picture of the cavities within the bass. I've got wires running from the shielding in the bridge pickup cavity to the shielding in the main control cavity.[​IMG] Xvx1IJx.

13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Shield your pickup covers, see if the issue persists. I have some tips for doing this in the link below.

14. DanGroove

DanGroove

Apr 27, 2017
    I'm getting ready to do this on my Elite Jazz V and I have a question about the grounding lug. Once I have shielded the pickguard and the cavities, wont the pots be making contact to the shieding at the control plate and if so, will keeping the original ground lug in place create a ground loop?

15. DiabolusInMusic

I would leave the ground lug connected, it is there to ground the shielding, but you will probably get sufficient contact between then shielding and control plate, assuming you ensure to bring the shielding out of the cavity.