1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shielding over shielding paint?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JACink, Dec 22, 2017.

1. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I am sure I have read about this a few times on here, but I am failing to find the threads this morning (it's early and I've only had one coffee ;) )

I have a bass that I am refinishing, which has the compartment (badly) painted with shielding paint. The paint is cracked and missing in some parts, so I am wondering what options I have.

I would prefer not to repaint (because I am not keen on shielding paint and I don't have any), but is it possible to reshield the whole bass with copper over the paint without removing it?

I am thinking that as long as I create a whole new copper "compartment" that is completely covered and well grounded to the bridge and output it should be ok, but I am usually wrong :D

2. As long as the shielding tape has conductive adhesive, it should be fine.
    What you don't want is anything insulating between the copper tape & the sheilding paint, which would form a capacitor.

JACink likes this.
  3. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    I think you’re overthinking it.

JACink likes this.
  4. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    This is what I seem to remember reading, thanks KBD.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  5. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I usually do ;)

6. As said provided conductive adhesive foil and well grounded it will be fine. That is exactly what I did when I installed the preamp in my Ibanez. It was shield paint and had no noise issues but I foiled it anyway just in case the new preamp needed it. Did not feel like having to strip the pots and preamp out again.

Laurence

JACink likes this.