1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Shielding Paint - Is my paint no good? Does shielding paint go bad?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by WardEarth, Nov 4, 2017.

1. WardEarth

WardEarth Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Anchormanville, CA
    I've applied 2 coats of this gold colored shielding paint in my pickup cavities and cant seem to get any connection when testing with a multimeter. Thoughts? Maybe I'm just not using very good stuff.

2. What is the paint ?

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I have never had my paint go bad. How old is it and what kind of paint is it?

4. WardEarth

Feb 18, 2010
    Anchormanville, CA
    Its maybe 3 years old. Acheson Electrodag SP-008A is whats on the container. Dist. by. Dill Engineering Saginaw, MI.
    The strangest thing is I can actually put the probes in the container and not get a connection. I thought water would conduct fairly easily.

5. Are you sure your meter is functioning properly?

It's a water-based shielding paint for EMI/RFI. According to the material datasheet it's good for one year.

However, for this application my guess is it's probably still good.

Regardless, since in essence its a can of water filled with metal particles, you should be able to measure conductivity through it.

6. WardEarth

Feb 18, 2010
    Anchormanville, CA
    Maybe ill switch out the battery or something but it seems to work when the probes are touched together as well as from the bass string through the bridge ground.

7. WardEarth

Feb 18, 2010
    Anchormanville, CA
    Actually the battery is feeling pretty weak so maybe that's the issue.

8. WardEarth

Feb 18, 2010
    Anchormanville, CA
    Well I replaced the battery and the .2 amp fuse and its still not working as it should. Might just put it all back together and hope for the best.

9. Pure water is not a conductor.
    Water purity meters actually measure the continuity between two electrodes in order to determine how contaminated the water is. The more current that goes between the electrodes, the more contaminated the water is.

Did you mix it properly before use?

10. WardEarth

Feb 18, 2010
    Anchormanville, CA
    Ya I shook and stirred it before application. Kinda wondering if my multimeter just isn't working right, although I was able to check the old 9v battery I pulled out, it was reading around 3v. May just have to assemble and see what happens. If it doesn't work I'll just get some more shielding and start over.

11. If you really think you can't rely on the meter just use a light bulb & a 9v battery, but first make sure the light bulb illuminates enough with the battery wired directly to it.

Loring likes this.
  12. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    is the meter set properly to check continuity ..?? can you touch a couple points on the bridge or control plate to see if the meter is working ..??

13. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    Make sure the paint is dry before you test it... it's not going to show continuity before it dries. At least that's how the shielding paint works at work.

DiabolusInMusic and T_Bone_TL like this.
  14. WardEarth

Feb 18, 2010
    Anchormanville, CA
    Ya I've tried a few things at this point. Multimeter is working fine. Going to have to go with the solid copper shielding I think.

15. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    Yeah, as deapestend says, let the paint dry first. Also, try using ohm mode on the multimeter. On some multimeters the continuity checker needs fairly low resistance to register. The paint may have slightly higher resistance than the continuity check expects.

16. Frederiek

Frederiek

Aug 8, 2016
    Netherlands
    I needed a pretty thick layer for consistent measuring results. Maybe just put on a couple more.

17. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Whatever paint you are using sucks. Stop using it and switch to MG Chemicals SuperShield. It is, by far, the best product out there.

ddnidd1 likes this.