1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shielding problem! Please help!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by b34tm3ch, Sep 19, 2010.

1. b34tm3ch

b34tm3ch

Sep 19, 2010
    Hi, I'm a newbie here. Just joined today on the hopes of getting this problems fixed. :rolleyes:

I bought a used MIM P Bass recently. Worked fine, but there was a buzzing sound. The buzz would persist until I touched the strings or the bridge.
    I did a little research and came to the conclusion that it was a grounding problem.

Then, I bought some copper tape. Stuck it in all the crevices very neatly so that now every hole in the body was coated with this magical stuff.
    Then, I put everything back into place, slapped on some new strings, and proceeded to jam out on my new rig...

What! No sound came out. Not a buzz! (which relieved me, but still) There was nothing coming out. I tried playing some Jamiroquai to funk it out, but nothing!

Can someone help me out? What could I be doing wrong?

2. Neon Scribe

Neon Scribe Supporting Member

You have a short. A hot wire is touching ground somewhere, probably on your new copper tape.

You will find more useful guidance in the Pickups & Electronics forum than Luthier's Corner for questions like these.

3. b34tm3ch

b34tm3ch

Sep 19, 2010
    Oh darn.
    Can I still go back and readjust the wires?
    Or is everything fried? :bawl:

4. Neon Scribe

Neon Scribe Supporting Member

Probably nothing is fried, but there's only one way to find out.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021