1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Shielding question on MIJ Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ghindman, Mar 1, 2006.

1. ghindman

ghindman

Feb 10, 2006
    So, I've got some random humming, crackling from my MIJ Jazz bass - not the usual single-coil hum, but grounding issues - touch the bridge/strings, goes away, etc..

I was going to put on some new strings, so I thought I'd crack the control/pickup cavity and see what was going on in there, shielding wise, and I came across something very odd.

[​IMG]

The control cavity and each pickup cavity have a strip of copper plate across the bottom that is rudimentarily star-grounded to the neck-pickup volume pot.

So, my questions are are these:
    1) Is this the factory configuration for MIJ fenders, or has a previous owner futzed with it?

2) If I complete the shielding around the sided, and do a proper star-ground to a lug, am I going to see much difference in noise?

3) If you look closely in the pic, the pickup cavity pieces of copper have a strip of foam across the top that the pickup sits on - there's no other mechanism providing tension against the pickup screws, and I'd like the pickups a bit higher than the foam will allow - am I safe in just shimming up the copper plate?

thanks

2. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    This is the same config used on the Geddy Jazz, and I think it is quite effective, although not ideal. I don't think you would get a WHOLE lot less noise, but it couldn't hurt. Some GL owners have noted the shileding/ star grounding benefit.

As for the copper, I would add foam ABOVE the copper, on top of the other foam and beneath the PU. That copper plate acts as a shield, so it is best against the wall of the rout.

3. ghindman

ghindman

Feb 10, 2006
    good call on the foam on top, thanks - my brain's obviously not firing on all cylinders, tonight.

Yeah, I may just clean up the wiring and put in a star ground that's not soldered to the pot case and see where I'm at. I can't believe how thing the pickup leads are - maybe 22g, maybe.

4. ghindman

ghindman

Feb 10, 2006
    So, I think my plan is to get my hands on some conductive shielding paint, and paint the cavities - the existing ground plate should contact the paint adequately - and then just redo the star ground to a ground point, rather than to the pot.