1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shielding Question!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by santucci218, Apr 20, 2010.

1. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    So i bought a new pickguard for my guitar. My old pickguard had alluminum on the back of it, and this one didnt. I wanted it to be the same, so i put aluminum on the back with spray glue and cut it out with a sharp knife. Not a bad job if i do say so myself! But now a problem...The knife wasnt thin enough. So when i mount the pickguard on the guitar, i will be able to see the aluminum. Its sticking out ever so slightly from all the sides. Should i go around the back of the pickguard from the edge all the way around a little or what?

2. Take the knife and carefully cut out the shielding from about 1/8" from the edge of the perimeter of the pickguard.

3. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    a thank you! i need a sharper knife. this one was pulling a little bit and sometimes tearing.

4. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    ayyy, thank you much man! it came out pretty perfect! Should i poke holes for the screws. Im not sure if they will rip when i press them through. also, should i cut around anywhere else? I dont know if it will interfere with the circut if i leave it touching the pots and what not..

5. You can just push the screws in.

The shielding should touch the pots, that's how it gets grounded.

6. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Be sure that the shielding is grounded some way. If the pots are on the pickguard, this is how.

7. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    you mean like, run a wire from the back of a pot to the aluminum? or does the shaft of the pot count for touching the pickguard?

8. If the shaft of the pot touches the shielding, that is all that is necessary.

BTW, it helps if you use toothed lock washers with the little teeth that will dig into the shielding to make good contact.