1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shielding question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by elennare, Jun 7, 2012.

1. elennare

elennare

Apr 7, 2012
    Berlin
    Well, probably it's going to be a really stupid question but I wanted to have all clear before destroying my precious. I need to shield and reground my SX jazz bass as it creaks whenever I try to play. I've looked at the tutorials and threads about shielding but I'm not sure of where I've to put all ground wires.

ursa2wire.jpg

From this diagram, all ground wires have to go to the shielding? Nothing else comes out to the plug?

Thanks in advance for your help! :D

2. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    The wiring diagram is correct, the output jack ground runs to the tone pot case and then to the bridge ground. The shield(s) should be grounded to the same point. The diagram shows explicit ground connections between the pickups and the two volume pots but it assumes the volume pot cases are grounded to the tone pot case through a metal control plate. If this is not true on your bass you will need to run a ground wire from the volume pot cases to the tone pot case. In theory your shield could also provide this ground but sometimes it is better to rely on an actual wire than theory....

Ken

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

No theory about it, you can get away without adding a ground wire. Heck I have done successful shielding jobs with tin foil tape, it has very little resistance, not nearly as much as copper foil tape.

Honestly if you have the control circuit grounded you probably won't have to add a ground wire anywhere else. Do the shielding job first, with copper foil tape, in the control and pickup cavities, the back of pick guard, and do the inside of the pickup covers. Ensure you don't have the copper foil tape contact the pickups by either clearing it out from the leads or wrapping them with electrical tape. Also make sure to put copper foil tape over the screw holes on the pick guard and the bass, once you pierce a screw through that will make the best contact.

If that doesn't work, add a ground wire from the original ground point in the control circuit to the copper foil lining the pickup cavity. Should solve your issue.