1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shielding Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SpankyPants, Mar 2, 2008.

1. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've kind of always had a somewhat noisy bass, so I've been trying to figure out how to fix it.

I remember someone mentioning a shielding paint. How well does this work? Where I can find it?

Also, I stumbled across this the other day. Would these really help at all, or is it just snake oil? (The ground plate and pickguard thing)

2. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    Sheilding ain't snake oil. It does help reduces (not elliminate)RF hum and buzz that can improve your playing experience. Especially in bad environments (florescent lighting, bad AC power, ect). Every bass I use I have sheilded if it was not already sheilded from the factory.

Check out the threat in the pickup forum:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159191

I have bought supplies from the following

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Supplies:_Shielding.html

http://www.warmoth.com/supplies/supplies.cfm?fuseaction=copper_shielding

3. I find that sheild paint in the cavities and copper foil on the inside of the pickguard works best. Also, make SURE the ground wire is making good contact under the bridge. I usually grind a fresh spot on the bridge to maximize the contact. I put a piece of copper foil under the bare end of the ground wire before I put the bridge on top of it. Anything to enhance the connection ;)

4. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I find that copper foil in the cavities and on the inside of the pickguard is far superior to shielding paint. This opinion comes from personal experience.

5. I will agree with that provided the person doing it can lay down the foil and solder it properly.

6. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I agree about the copper tape. It's much easier to apply than the paint -- it doesn't get all over things you don't want it on, you don't have to wait for it to dry and it's easier to apply. It work well too. I really can't say if it works better than paint, but I've used tape for years with no problems. It works for me so I have no need to switch to something else.

7. I've used the tape on all my basses. No complaints. I've manually taped under the pickguard, as well as through wiring cavities, around battery boxes, etc. Make sure there's continuity, and you are fine. :)

8. +1 I Do this exact same method. Usually 2 light coats of paint in all cavities, then I check with an ohm meter.

9. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Shielding works when properly implemented because it makes a Faraday Cage around the sensitive components that intercepts EMI and forces it to ground before it gets into the signal path.

The pickup ground plates and pickguard shield in the ad do not do that.

10. aluminum tape works too right? It looks like some kind of aluminum that comes stock around the knobs and jack area on most PBass guards I have had. I can't find copper tape local but places like lowes, home depot and even advance auto parts and autozone carries aluminum tape. It's not that expensive either.

Steve

11. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    Aluminum works, but not as well IMO as copper tape. I tried aluminum once and was not pleased and redid it with copper. Warmoth, Stewart-MacDonald and even Carvin sells copper tape. Stewart-MacDonald also sells sheilding paint.

12. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for the help, guys. :)

Maybe I'll use both: a couple light coats of paint in conjunction with foil.

So is there any truth to their claims at all?