Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shielding Revelations

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by GrooveSlave, Dec 30, 2003.

1. GrooveSlave

GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    I finally solved a problem with sheilding my Fender Jazz bass and I wanted to share....

:cool:

A couple of years ago, I did what I thought was a first rate job at shielding the cavities of one of my Jazzes. I used copper foil and soldered it together and tested continuity and grounded it. Just like your supposed to.

Well, it just hummed from any interference in a room. In fact it was almost unplayable in certain rooms. I couldn't figure it out.

Long story short, I had shielded the inside of the Neck pickup cavity with copper foil and connected it to ground and the rest of the foil in the control cavity.

Today I ripped the shielding out of the pickup cavity and left the control cavity as it was and bingo! No hum. I still have the single coil problem when both p/us are not full on, but THAT I can live with.

As near as I can figure, the p/u cavity shielding was somehow collecting and 'focusing' the noise and directing it to the p/u. Does this make any sense?????

:confused:

All I know is that it worked and it's like I have a new bass!

2. WardEarth

WardEarth

Feb 18, 2010
    well thats some good news for me. I'm about to shield my 1st bass build, I think I'll just do the control cavity.

3. levis76

levis76 Seconds from getting ba...

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Wow. OP from 2003.

Nice.

[​IMG]