Shielding Revelations

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by GrooveSlave, Dec 30, 2003.

1. GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    I finally solved a problem with sheilding my Fender Jazz bass and I wanted to share....

A couple of years ago, I did what I thought was a first rate job at shielding the cavities of one of my Jazzes. I used copper foil and soldered it together and tested continuity and grounded it. Just like your supposed to.

Well, it just hummed from any interference in a room. In fact it was almost unplayable in certain rooms. I couldn't figure it out.

Long story short, I had shielded the inside of the Neck pickup cavity with copper foil and connected it to ground and the rest of the foil in the control cavity.

Today I ripped the shielding out of the pickup cavity and left the control cavity as it was and bingo! No hum. I still have the single coil problem when both p/us are not full on, but THAT I can live with.

As near as I can figure, the p/u cavity shielding was somehow collecting and 'focusing' the noise and directing it to the p/u. Does this make any sense?????

All I know is that it worked and it's like I have a new bass!
  2. WardEarth

Feb 18, 2010
    well thats some good news for me. I'm about to shield my 1st bass build, I think I'll just do the control cavity.
  3. levis76

levis76 Seconds from getting ba... Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Wow. OP from 2003.