Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shielding the control cavity.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Cochise, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Hi,
    I have a Fender MIM P bass, fitted with SD vintage pups, I am getting hum from my amp, which gets increasingly worse as I crank the treble on the bass, and I assume this is a shielding issue as there is none at all in the control cavity or around the pups. What I need to know is what do I use to do this? I have some self adhesive aluminium foil, is this any good? Also, how do I ground it? Is it a case of running wires from the shielding and soldering them to the back of the pots?
    Thanks for looking...

I'VE JUST SEEN THE THREAD ON SHIELDING THE JAZZ BASS CONTROL CAVITY-ALL IS NOW CLEAR

2. Self adhesive aluminium foil will probably work. Then drive a very small screw into it(do it on the SIDE...don't drive the screw through the back (yikes)) for a solder point to the case of one of your pots. (Al foil doesn't solder very well) You can also use copper foil or conductive paint.

I'd suggest you complete the job by shielding under that portion of the pickguard, as well. Similarly, you should shield your pickup cavity the same wire, running an earth lead back to your common earth "star" point. (The "star" point should be the point from which all your earths emanate).

Happy shielding.

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    E-mail me, I'll send you some adhesive copper foil that'll work fine. It's pretty thick, so you can solder to it, but that also means you'll need about an 1/8" clearance around your cavity. It's good stuff though, it's 3M's finest. :)

4. jamesr

jamesr

Feb 23, 2005
    PA
    I always use heavy duty aluminum foil, and spray adhesive (3m)