Shielding with active pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by needmoney, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Is it necessary? Say if I were to buy an EMG J set with the prewired controls to throw in a J Bass, is it necessary to shield all the cavities or ground the control plate and all that jazz?
  2. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Unless you know where 'noise' comes from and how to control it (lights,transformers,etc.) it will enter the fray where allowed and pass it along to the output jack. Any exposed (unshielded)wiring is an antenna for said cause.
    It doesn't take much time or money to do the job anyway... does it?
  3. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

you can drop it in and see what it does. I've had half dozen or so sets of active EMG's and always dead quiet without shiedling but if you wanted to shield afterthefact, you'd have to pull and install everything twice. You don't ground the bridge to active EMGs per instructions and they're quiet regardless so no point.

I've also had more than a dozen sets of various active pups and, from memory, they've all been dead quiet - and my installations are wired temporary with wirenuts and telephone wire so I'm more likely to get noise than not. Some have been in shielded basses and some haven't. If you're going to be playing in a lot of different environments however, you may run into a problem in some of them.

That's my experience anyway.