shielding with aluminium or copper help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nick_uk, May 12, 2005.

1. nick_uk

May 5, 2005
    i have now been told by several people that cavity shhielding with aluminium foil tape is perfectly acceptable, even as good as copper? true or false.
  2. Any metal enclosure will do the job, but copper is much easier to make electrical joins in than aluminium. Also, an aluminium foil tape may have a plastic film over/under the metal, making it harder to get a good join.
  3. nick_uk

May 5, 2005
    thanks, i can see how that would be, if the adhesive is conductive shouldn't be a problem ?
  4. In theory, yes, but it's a big 'if'.
  5. whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    I shielded my bass with regular aluminum foil from my kitchen. I bought some craft spray adhesive (you can find at any craft store that women frequent - I was with my wife, I swear!) to adhere the aluminum foil to the cavity.

What I did first was mold the aluminum foil to the cavity. I then gently pulled it out and sprayed the adhesive on it, and then I pressed it back into the cavity.

My bass is extremely quiet now.
  6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    While we're on topic,
    My Dad says that while copper is good, it doesn't shield out magnetic field - from the cabs's powerful magnets. He said that tin would be better: not much more work, but better shielding and even shields from magnetic fields.
    Can anyone confirm this?
  7. jbathehut

Apr 20, 2005

Unless you like to play crouched behind your cab with your guitar literally right next to the magnets, there's no need for anything more than copper. The magnetic field from your cab speakers is way too weak to cause any interference at any normal playing distance. As far as I know, tin by itself doesn't shield magnetic fields. It would have to be an alloy with iron or nickel. Copper is your best bet for shielding.