Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shielding

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jiro, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    If you used an all aluminum pickguard could you use that as a type of shielding?

2. Saorex

Saorex

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    Any metal can be used for shielding no? What do you want to do exactly?

3. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    well a aluminum pickguard is on its way and I was thinking of shielding my bass with aluminum foil and the two just came together and then Wham! the question popped up haha...

4. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Yep, any metal can be used - so can a specific type of paint. Copper is more common for the cavity, is easy to work with, and takes solder well.

When shielding a body cavity, just be sure that all of your foil sections are electrically connected. A simple multi-meter check of resistance between pieces should be performed to make sure they all register zero between each piece. For my cavities, I solder all of the seams where they overlap at the bottom of the cavity, and also where any 'ears' that extend to screw holes join to the cavity sides. If you also shield the p/u cavities you can either shield the tunnel between each cavity and solder the joints, or you can connect the cavity shielding with a ground wire soldered to each end of the tunnel.

R