Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

shielding

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rick Martin, Jul 4, 2001.

1. I'm going to upgrade the pickups on my MIM J bass. What about shielding the pickup cavitys? Is there some sort of metallic tape or something that I would line the route with?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Rick - one source for copper shielding paper and paint is www.stewmac.com . Just type "shielding" in their "Search" to find what they have.

Also, the website has a link for "Free Information " That will contain info. on how to do your own shielding.

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    The Lane Poor site has a step-by-step guide with pics...click
    They recommend using brass. A lot of the steps shown will
    work with the copper foil tape.

Here's another one from guitarnuts.com...click. It shows the
    process for shielding a Telecaster, but a lot of the info applies.

The June `96 issue of Bass Player mag has an article by Rick
    Turner. He uses foil tape AND paint.

4. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    My modulus has copper(?) foil tape on all the flat surfaces and some kind of metalic looking paint to fill in the corners and gaps. I p/u zero interference even from a light dimmer. (FYI Lane-Poor humbucker (1) and Bartolini 18v 3-bnd eq pre-amp). My old Aria had a thin coating of a grayish paint and it picked up everything (even air planes at times!) When the crappy P/J p/u's and active pre-amp burn-up I replaced them with an EMG 9v active humbucker and passive tone & volume. This cut out 90% of the noise.

Bottom line, I think sheilding helps but the components are the biggest thing.

RGDS

5. I used humbucking Dimarzio DP123 pickups on my Mexi Jazz, and did not need shielding at all. Just twist the wires coming from the pickups. I do not think I could have gotten this much noise reduction from just shielding with single-coils. And the DP123's allow you to use just one pickup with no hum. Solo the neck pickup and it's a cool kind of P-bass fat sound.

And yes, Speedbird, I do and will listen to (old!) Black Sabbath on a regular basis.:D

Chris