Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

shielding

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jondog, Jul 1, 2002.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Hi, I've done a search on shielding but I still have a few questions.

a. Can I really use auto foil tape or kitchen aluminum foil? Is the copper noticably better?

b. If I use the conductive paint, do I have to make sure it is grounded too -- i.e. paint a ground wire

Thanks!

Jon

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I've heard that the aluminum and copper tape are pretty similar... My MIA P has a strip of aluminum tape on the pickguard and a paint shielded cavity, with a ground wire connected to a lug screwed into the cavity, (thus grounding the electronics to the paint).

I've used copper tape on most of the shielding that I have done and have always grounded the electronics to the shielding as above. If you are going to be using conductive paint, plan on two or three coats for maximum protection.

Good luck!

-robert

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Cool, thanks.

I am going to shield the pickup cavities in addition to the control cavity. What does the shielding in the pickup cavity get grounded to?

Happy Tuesday!

Jon

4. jankjo

jankjo

May 22, 2002
    I have heard that conductive paint doesn't work as well as either aluminum or copper. Copper is nice because you can solder to it, so it is easy to make a ground connection. If the sheilding isn't grounded, it doesn't help. It is harder to make a good ground connection to aluminum. You should connect the sheilding to the ground of your circuit. As long as you are adding the sheilding, it is a really good idea to do star grounding. Check out

http://www.guitarnuts.com/

It has instructions for a stratocaster, but can be modified for your bass.

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
  6. jankjo

jankjo

May 22, 2002
    Great!
    Good luck with the wiring. I did one of my basses and it sounds much better. I need to get some more copper tape before I do the other.
    You can get copper tape from warmoth or carvin online.

7. Or your local hardware store. I found a roll of copper tape that's the size of a roll of duct tape. I could sheild about half of everything that came out of Fender with that.:D

Rock on
    Eric

8. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I finished shielding my bass, and the operation was a success!

I used heavy duty aluminum foil and rubber cement, like the guy from guitarnuts does. I did the whole cavity with one piece, overlapping into the screwholes to contact another piece on the back of the cover. I didn't star ground like he says, but I got rid of the loops and grounded everything to 1 pot. It still made some noise. My pups have red, white, and shield wires coming out. I found that disconnecting the white ones got rid of the remaining buzz. I tried wiring a switch to give myself a choice of red or white wires, but the white setting still introduced noise so I took it out.

I don't know if I made it series or parallel or whatever, I'm just glad I made it quiet! :D

9. jankjo

jankjo

May 22, 2002