Shift Line Flex

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TheLopp, Nov 24, 2021 at 12:56 PM.

1. TheLopp

TheLopp

Dec 30, 2013
    Here’s something new that looks really interesting!

https://shift-line.com/flex

I will get one as fast as I can. I have a lot of faith in these guys!

2. Hmm. I was interested in the Olympic but... I live on the East coast?

DJ Bebop, BrentSimons and Scott Shaw like this.
  3. JazzyJacuzzi

JazzyJacuzzi

Sep 17, 2021
    So the Olympic is based on... Mesa? Fender? and the Flex is based on what? Ampeg?

DJ Bebop, HolmeBass and bassandboy like this.
  4. ThisYouCanTrust

ThisYouCanTrust

Jun 10, 2019
    Same question here :)

DJ Bebop and bassandboy like this.
  5. bassandboy

bassandboy

Aug 24, 2018
    Honolulu, HI
    Yeah, what the heck does East Coast sound vs West Coast sound mean? What does “based on the 12AX7 sound” mean? Fender, Alembic and the Noble Twenty Watt use 12AX7s… so is it more like that?

DJ Bebop likes this.
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Same. I had never heard of an East Coast/West Coast bass tone.

@agedhorse you've designed more amps than most of us will ever play through. Were you aware of this?

(NOT trying to start a fight. Literally wanting to know if there's a history here I'm unaware of.)

7. East coast, is that the “new york sound”, whatever that is lol

DJ Bebop and HolmeBass like this.
  8. TheLopp

TheLopp

Dec 30, 2013
    My guess, and it’s only a guess, is that this is more of an Ampeg while the Olympic is more of a Fender. Don’t know about the east vs west coast thing, my guess is based on tone stack and looks.

DJ Bebop and Eric Cioe like this.
  9. bassandboy

bassandboy

Aug 24, 2018
    Honolulu, HI
    Where does any of the info on the Flex mention the tone stack? I couldn’t find it. Unless it’s in that schematic that I’m not qualified to read.

10. I’m guessing East Coast refers to Linden,NJ, where Ampeg was originally from. It seems odd not to be more direct about the sound though.

DJ Bebop, Eric Cioe and BrentSimons like this.
  11. TheLopp

TheLopp

Dec 30, 2013
    its in the “signal routing” picture.
    Bass [email protected] and
    treble [email protected]

DJ Bebop likes this.
  12. No IR/Cab sim though? Why not? Could have been the ultimate preamp!

Overdrive777 and BrentSimons like this.
  13. I wasn’t aware there was a costal variance in the Bass. What happens if I live outside of St.Louis?

14. That's what I was thinking too! :(
    No aux in or headphone out as well...

15. db59

db59 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2015
    No blend knob for that MidWest sound?

16. In the 70’s a bunch of studio players pooled their money to put an Ampeg B15 in each of the major studios that they would all use when tracking there. I can’t remember the name of that group though.

So I would guess the “east coast” sound is the NYC sound, an Ampeg B15.

Just a guess. I have no idea what the west coast sound is, probably is a fender tone stack sound.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  17. Nuage420

Nuage420 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    ... forget the East vs west. I really didn't enjoy any of the noises in that demo.

funkinbottom, steelbed45 and DJ Bebop like this.
  18. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    "East coast tone" means, to me, something like Will Lee's sound, or Marcus Miller, or Tim LeFebvre, or Anthony Jackson, maybe. Yeah, I wasn't hearing that so much.

19. Yes!

Manhattan Bass Club

Shortly after the B-15’s introduction in 1960, it became the most popular bass amp in the world. Thanks to the Manhattan Bass Club, there were B-15s in every professional recording studio in New York, and the B-15 was embraced by the most prolific session bass players of the time.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampeg_Portaflex

At one time, they were under lock and key. You had to be a member of the club to have a key, if not, no B-15 for your session :)

Later on, they were unlocked..

HolmeBass, Mushroo and Jeff Elkins like this.
  20. ThisYouCanTrust

ThisYouCanTrust

Jun 10, 2019
    Well it's also cheaper so I guess some people complained they wanted a more minimalist version maybe ?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2021