Shift UPWARD ? ( Octaves )

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by OysterBoy, Sep 10, 2005.

1. OysterBoy

Sep 19, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, I plan on buying a six string, and tuning it to EADGBE (Guitar tuning). I'd like to take that a step further and maybe buy a pedal to shift up an octave and really lay out some pseudo guitar / pseudo basslines. Does such an effect exist? It doesnt need to be a terrific boost upwards, but significant none the less. Any advice at all would be appreciated.
  2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yes sir, such a pedal does exsist.

You basically have 2 choices. A cheap one and an expensive one. You get what you pay for.

Anyways, choice one, and the most popular choice, is the Digitech Whammy! It's $200, and you can do all sorts of crazy harmonies and pitch shifting and stuff. I like mine a lot. It sounds rather synthetic though, however if you add distortion to it, it sounds VERY convicing. Your other option is an EHX POG and i'm pretty sure that's like $400.

EDIT: Also keep in mind that the Whammy! has an expression pedal, so you can "slide" into octaves like in the song "Lateralus" by Tool for example.
  3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire

Dood, I can do "guitar" soloes when I kick it 2 octaves up.
  4. psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    You also might want to consider piccolo bass strings or even long scale guitar strings.
  5. OysterBoy

Sep 19, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    yea, I'm thinking of getting some lighter tension / thickness strings for this planned project...

thanks for the help guys! Not ONE snooty bassist telling me why Im butchering the meaning of bass.
  6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I play to have fun.
  7. what about the boss pitch shifter??? you all seem to forgot it serves the same purpose as what your after
  8. The Akai Unibass would be another option. They're around $160 or so just keep an eye out on ebay as they're not produced any longer.
  9. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    This is the Effects forum - we all butcher the meaning of bass. :p

~Ian, butchering via DigiTech Bass Whammy and SWR Mini Mo'. :D
  10. OysterBoy

Sep 19, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for all the help guys, this is oddly uncharacterisitc of what I've come to know as TalkBass. Mind you, Im not slandering; just takes a while, usually, before I get any replies.

So, eBay would be a good route? Also, would this plan work well enough with a 4 or 5 string for now? I don't think I'm ready yet, musically, or financially, to buy a 6 string.
  11. Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    Keep in mind, alot of pitch shifting cant handle chords/multiple notes at once very well (or at least, not the digitech Whammy). In the case of the whammy, it works, but theres some funny distortion sounds in the background sometimes
  12. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    The POG handles polyphony, no problem.