Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

shifting

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by dragonetti11, Jun 22, 2002.

1. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    How can I shift without making it sound like I'm shifting?? Is there something I can do with the bow? .........And does anyone know what shifting with the bow means??

2. Can you be a little more specific? Are you talking about shifting within a single bow stroke, a slur?

I'm not sure what you mean by, "shifting with the bow." What's the context?

3. I think he's talking about getting a smooth bow stroke from downbow to upbow, or vice versa. Practicing Long tones would probably benefit the most.

4. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    When shifting weather or not its a slur should lighten my bow.
    I once heard that if you point your fingers down a little and not have them parralell to the string can help with making a shift silent. is that right? any other tips

5. Yes, use spell check :)

6. Don't take pressure off the bow. I'm getting the impression that maybe you're beginning your bow stroke before you have the string firmly depressed against the fingerboard.

Your fingers should have a little arch in them so the weight of your arm with the muscles from your shoulder stops the string. Your fingers shouldn't be flat. If the string isn't sufficiently stopped there will be an unpleasant sound at the beginning of each note that you might mistake for your right hand technique when in fact it's your left.