shim materials

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassist4ever, May 27, 2002.

1. tonight i took the neck off my bass and notice that it had a plastic shim in the very back of the neckonly like just over 1/32nd of an inch... im thinking about going to the store tomorro and getting some thin picks (4 of each size) and drilling small holes in them for the neck screws and then re attaching the neck........ ye or ne? or should a shim just be in the back of the pocket of the bass?
  2. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Man, this was hard to read. You almost lost me!

The shims are there to give you a neck angle. This is a "backbend" in the joint, to male it possible to have low action. To redeem the difference between the high bridge saddles and the thin fretboard.

The material of this shim must be at least as hard as the wood. So you can't just pick any pick...
    Both thickness and length are important to get the proper angle. And placement, of course: only in the back, otherwise, there will hardly be an angle, right?

Just be careful, and think it through before doing anything, and you'll be fine.