1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Shim & Saddle Advice.. ..

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by eno50, Apr 24, 2009.

1. eno50

eno50

Jan 31, 2009
    North of Memphis
    Hello fellow bass players, I have two questions I hope to get some advise on..
    I'am doing a set up on my jazz v and It looks like I'am going to have to shim the neck because with the bridge saddles lowerd all the way down(the G and B string) are still to high for me,so I think I'am going to have to shim,so my question is do you shim the whole neck pocket or just the front?(toward the neck pickup).
    My next question is the saddle screws stick way out( two long) can you (once you get everything set right) trim or file off the protruding screws ( of course from the bottom so you still can use the allen wrench) or can you just buy some shorter screws?
    Any advise Please
    Thanks ENO

2. Shimming just the end of the neck pocket closest to the pickups(away from the nut)will increase the neck angle, raising the strings' ideal position, relative to the bridge(raising the saddles afterward should reduce the amount of height adjustment screws showing). Increasing the neck angle also slightly increases the scale length- you will likely need to adjust intonation. Remember that everything is connected- adjusting one thing will have some sort of effect on everything else. I strongly suggest that you read all you can in this form on general setup. :)

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    always a +1.

is the neck itself straight? if not, you'll never get it right playing with the saddle height.

4. Fajah

Fajah

Apr 30, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Assuming the neck is at the proper angle to begin with, I prefer to shim the whole pocket.

You'll be raising the saddles relative to how much you shimmed the neck. It should not be necessary to cut the screws down so I would leave them alone.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the thing with that is, you have to raise the entire neck up by the same amount as the saddle height you're looking for, which can look funny and change the way the thing feels. shimming one end to change the angle will get you what you need with far less thickness of shims.

again, i wouldn't be surprised if the actual problem is an upbowed neck, and no shimming at all is required.

6. Senator

Senator

Nov 11, 2008
    The saddles on my Jazz V are pretty high up and I have 3 shims stacked on the edge of the body toward the nut.

This was set up at a music store before I bought it. It works wonders.

7. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    I'm starting to think this is what I may need to do with my Brice octave 8-string. Ever since I've had it (about 7 months), the strings sit pretty close to the fretboard near the nut, but further down the neck they get higher and higher (really high by the time you're at the heel). I've tried adjusting the action at the bridge which didn't do much.

8. I'd go through an entire setup check before deciding on shimming; it could be that your neck has too much relief.

I'd just shim the bridge-ward end of the pocket with a chunk of business card.

9. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    I've actually given a lot more thought to having a set-up done on it than shimming the neck or having someone do it. May as well see if a good setup will do the trick.