1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Shimming neck pocket?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Mar 30, 2006.

1. My 74 Jazz does not have a very tight neck pocket.On either side I have room for almost the thickness of a business card.So the neck has to be screwed down pretty tight so it doesn't shift.
    Would it improve the resonance of the instrument if I made the neckpocket tighter by laminating some veneer into the spaces?

2. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    I have the same issue with my 77 J, and was gonna post the same question...
    I'll be watching :)

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've glued in a bit of veneer to stop the neck from shifting on a number of basses. It didn't improve the sound however. It's easy enough to do yourself so give it a shot.

In fact, luthier Attila Balough did that for me on my new '73 Jazz one time. Solved the problem.

4. thedoctor

thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    I am glad 69 put in his comment because I have two basses with loose neck pockets and one I fixed. The sound did not change on the on I fixed at all. The other two with the loose pockets are not so loose that the neck shifts on me. The one I play the most is not loose all the way down to the bottom of the pocket. It gets tight in the last 1/8" or so. The other one has a gap of about .020" on each side that I shimed with hard phenolic/fiberglass tape once but quit doing that after it made no sonic difference. I guess I would fix it if the neck actually shifted on me while tuning/playing. Otherwise, no.