shin splints

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jon Burnet, May 11, 2004.

1. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    any of you guys have any prevenative advice or remedys for shin splints? i am enjoying how i feel after a run but get shin splints so bad it hurts to walk the next day. any advice would be grand.
  2. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Shin splints is the name given to pain at the front of the lower leg. The most common cause is inflammation of the periostium of the tibia (sheath surrounding the bone). The injury is an overuse injury and can be caused by running on hard surfaces, running on tip toes and sports where a lot of jumping is involved. If you over pronate then you are also more susceptible to this injury.

Rest. The sooner you rest the sooner it will heal.
    Apply ice in the early stages when it is very painful.
    Wear shock absorbing insoles in shoes.
    Maintain fitness with other non weight bearing exercises.
    Apply heat and use a heat retainer after the initial acute stage, particularly before training.
    Tape the ankle for support. - A taping worn all day will allow the shin to rest properly.
    Analyse running style for over pronation.
    Use sports massage techniques on the posterior deep muscle compartment but avoid the inflammed periostium

Anti inflammatory drugs along with rest and ice can help reduce inflammation, particularly in the early stages. However if the underlying causes such as tight muscles are not treated through stretching and sports massage techniques then the likelyhood of the injury returning is higher

3. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I had shin splints once in high school. My coach had me go to the trainer after practice and they had me up to my knees in ice (filled 5 gallon buckets) for ten minutes. Afterward, I felt like I had a new pair of legs, and never ran into a problem, since.
  4. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Advil, Advil, Advil.

Rest up and ice them often.
  5. Get a new pair of running shoes. After a cetain amount of miles running shoes wear out. Make sure they are comfortable. Also stretch as much as possible One stretch you can do is: sit down and put one foot on top of the other, and with your bottem foot try to lift it up and down while pushing down on it with the top foot, you should feel the tension in the shin area
    Ice helps a lot
    I used to suffer horribly from shin splints, running 10 miles a day on roads is not good for you.
    Your shin splints might be casued by jsut jumping into running long distances without slowly building up(this has happened to me before)
  6. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Don't always run on the same side of the street or in the same direction on a loop. Also, go to a genuine running shoe store and have them watch you run and match your locomotion to a shoe.

And whatever you do don't try and 'run through' the pain!