Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shine/Wicked Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sargebaker, Apr 24, 2005.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Well as some of you may know the input jack on my Spector broke so in my quest to replace it (Steve's said it would take like 2-3 weeks for them to get one, and I don't feel like waiting...ugh for a store who's motto is if we don't have it, you don't need it i must apparently not need too much...sorry ranting..)

Anyways so I went into this really cheap music store where I used to take lessons and the place was filled with Shine and Wicked basses and he said they were like distributed by Epiphone or someting, They are cheap (like SX range) and I've seen the Shine ones on ebay.co.uk and he said that Wicked would be the Canadian name or somethign. Anyways I tried out most of them, there was some J, some P's some funky looking stuff, one that looked exactly like a Thumb, one that had a Wilkison designed bridge, one P had a MM bridge on it... Anyways the cheapest ones felt like they were made of paper (bodies) with pretty beefy feeling necks so they didnt feel that great, but many others (and the 6 string I played, some of the "higher end" models) felt really good. I was impressed by the brass nut, the really good fretwork (no scratching or cutting the fingers) and the overall feel. I didn't get to plug any in they'd be more than worth it if they sound even half decent. (some had a few set-up problems, and the Tele bass wasn't very comfortable) but on the whole they were pretty cool. The set-ups weren't even THAT bad, action was pretty low and the buzzing was at leats minimal and all of them had decent steel strings on them, this coming from a store renowned for their 3 feet action..

Anyways enough of my drawn out rant, does anyone have any experience with these or any info?

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I can't stand Steve's guitar shop, especially the creeps working the accessories counter. They give you this look like
    ' what the &^%$ are you trying to steal'. Anyhow, bummer about the wait to get your bass fixed but I would make them fix it if it's under warranty. Maybe you can borrow a bass for the two to three weeks that it will be getting repaired.

3. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    It's under warranty, and I got 3 basses so it's okay. But yeah, the workes are on the whole pretty rude. There's some really nice ones. Like I had Ray assess the Jack problem then asked him about pickups then left then came back and waited and said so finally I'll order the pickups! so he calles over this other guy and the guy just gives him this look and this irritated "what?" and he's like shyte I'm giving u a sale man! anyhoo... SO yeah I got 3 weeks to wait for some pickups coming from Ottawa... (and I'm in Montreal) If I had the time I'd just go pick them up myself geez. Ugh enough of my rambling, I'll just stick to Archambault form now on. Back on topic, what about the basses? :p