Shiny Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Skwad, Jun 16, 2001.

1. Skwad

May 26, 2001
    I have a Fender and I'm wondering how to keep it shiny. As in, what should I use to clean it? Would Windex be alright? Would I have to cover the mics with something so nothing touches them? My cotton bandana gets rid of the finger prints, but what about some small stains and stuff. How do I get them off?
  2. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    stains eh? I'm all for loving your bass like it's a woman but...

Seriously I use furniture polish and a duster.
    Just spray around the pickups or straight onto duster.
  3. I use special guitar-polish that i bought in the local music store..
  4. yeah but that 'special guitar polish' is just gloryfied furniture polish

they put guitar on the packaging to make you think 'oh specially formulated for 'my' guitar, it must be great, yeah right!!!!!

why spend money on that when you mum has loads of it in the cuboard
  5. no we don't... we have only one great product that can replace all these products, mike..

yes.. you too can obtain this wonderfull product(tm), so grab the phone, and order your fabulous guitar polish(c)(r) NOW, for the great price of only $39.95. and remember folks, this product is not for sale in any stores, and.. if you order now.. we will add an extra bottle as a bonus for FREE !! call now.. we're waiting for you.. call NOW. 0-900-RIPOFF
  6. I wouldnt call it a rip-off. I got a bottle of some "guitar polish" from the guitar center for $9 and it has lasted 5 months and it has 9/10 left. Im quite satisfied, and I use it for everything, it's perfect.
  7. LiL BaSS DuDe

LiL BaSS DuDe Guest

May 15, 2001
    I think I'll be buying some guitar polish next time I get the chance it's only around 10bucks..

I used some furniture polish, but it didn't seems to make that good of a job (proberly just me;))

Have to give it another try :)
  8. $9 ? woah.. that's like about 25 Guilders.. i got mine for 13 Guilders.. that's about $5
  9. yeah but that stuff you pay $9 is is probably made out of dead basses an guitars, can u live with yourself, you may hear them scream at night

NO, seriously, the stuff your mum uses to clean furniture will do the same, or even the polish thats designed for wood and glass

they wouldn't put that stuff on wood if it sucked! would they??

a lot of big guitar repairers i know, (the big ones) use everyday polish, and i've seen a few tins lying around on work tops

of course spector, or sadowsky may use specially formulated polish with added " buffelo urine, it's sterile you know , we had it carbon dated 30,000 years old"

but i couldn't possibly comment on that,as i've never met the guys, perhaps Nino could help you on that NINO
  10. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    For everyday maintenance I keep a cloth diaper in each guitar case. Before & after I play I wipe my bass down, including the strings. Something about the cloth they use to make diapers makes them really good dusting and polishing cloths. I "kid" you not.

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ohhhh man...that's childish!

If I wasn't such a baby, I'd tell you to grow up and tell real jokes, but...

:eek: Oh man, yuck! :D:D:D
  12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Why does age have to be an issue, Angus?

I've used furniture polish for cleaning, with excellent results and have used car wax (like Meguiars) for shine. I still a have a bottle of guitar polish which gives me about the same results...for more money.

For removing sticky stuff the best, cheapest way to go is WD-40. After using Goo Gone and the like, I found that WD-40 works better, costs practically nothing and has other uses.
  13. talking about sticky marks, if you ever have to remove a sticky mark, like the ones that used to be left on CD's before they changed the stickness formula, remember???

lighter fluid, it'll evaporate,

**********but dont use it on paint, i don't know what it'll do, so don't do it kids, i can't be held responsable for such an action, i think it says on the tin about painted surfaces, but is real good for plastic, just be careful, dependant on the structure of the polimers, thermo setting etc

it works on cd's though
  14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It does sound very strange when you read things like "the stuff your mum uses to clean furniture " - I mean it just sounds like we're all 5 years old or something! :rolleyes: The sort of thing they say on "Blue Peter" in the UK!

The thing is that there are all sort of materials used for cleaning furniture and I know that with some of these in the UK, I would never let them near my bass!!

I bought a small bottle of Gibson Guitar polish in the 80s and have used it on my basses and guitars ever since - and it hasn't run out!! In the same period I've used many, many spray cans of things like furniture polish - no I don't live with my Mum! - which were much more expensive!!
  15. well, that'll be me bruce, i simplified it a bit, the thing i was taking into consideration is that theres a lot of 'kids' in here who have very generous parents, i wouldn't want them going into the kitchen copboard and attempting to clean there stingray bass with flash bathroom cleaner or de-scaler,

i still live my mum and i don't know what she cleans the furniture with , but she cleans the expensive furniture with the stuff, so the tough poltester finish want take too much harm
  16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

"Now children, ask your mummy to save the washing up liquid bottles when she's finished and we can make a splendid Saturn 5 Rocket ! And next week we will show you how to set up and care for your bass with simple items you can find in the home." :D
  17. your showing your age there mate! :)