Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shiny fretboards?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sutton, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    How come some basses have really shiny fretboards?

Basically, like this:
    [​IMG]

What kind of finish is that and can I do it to my fretless jazz? Also, is it good to put tung oil on fretboards?

2. That's probably Epoxy. Putting epoxy on a fretboard will make it look better and last MUCH longer, plus you can use round-wound strings which sound better (more mwah) and they won't hurt the fretboard. And yes you can put it on your fretless, BUT I wouldn't do it myself, have it done professionally or you can really screw it up. Most guitar shops can do it for you, but check this site out www.epoxyfretless.com. He's pretty much the best there is, but he's got a waiting period of a few months.

3. Warwickman0810

Warwickman0810

Mar 29, 2005
    London, UK
    Whoa, that's a beast! If I were you i would take my bass to the professionals to get the fretboard epoxy-d...or just get a pedulla :)

4. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Pedulla uses a polyester coating, I believe. (The bass pictured is a Pedulla)

I had HG Thor (linked above) do my Modulus Q6 TBX, and it came back perfect. That's no small feat either - this is a neck-through carbon fiber bass with no truss rod, fretless, so it had to be just right, and it is.

I think his prices are quite fair for what he does. Wait time when I sent mine off a few months back was about 5 months. That doesn't mean he keeps your bass for 5 months, that means if you contact him now and let him know you want it done, he'll reserve you a place in line and contact you when your "turn" is near. Actual turn-around time for mine was about 3 weeks, but I had some extra work done as well.

5. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI

Well this is for my SX Jaxzz, and though it has been heavily moddified, I dont want to put another 300 into it :-\

6. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Thats polyester (sp?), epoxy wont bond to ebony as it does to other woods.

7. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    what does that do to the sound? is it less... woody?

8. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    It makes the fretboard harder getting you better response in higher pitches, but i doubt it makes a huge diff you cant tweak trough a pre-amp.