1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ship a bass from Canada to France

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by akjn, Mar 17, 2021.

Tags:
  1. akjn

akjn

Jun 30, 2019
    Hi everyone,

I bought a bass one year ago in Quebec, back then I was planning to sell it right before coming back to France, but Covid-19 came and I went back home earlier than intented, I had to leave my bass at the school I was studying in.

Now, I'm trying to get it shipped from Quebec to my home in France, and I frankly have no idea how to do it. I tried to reach school employees for some assistance but they're not very helpful ...

If you guys can give me some advice, on which company to choose, price range, etc, that would be awesome !

Cheers

2. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    It will likely not be inexpensive.

It will likely not be fast.

Others will have better info, but I'd say start with DHL.

Who will be responsible for packing it safely so it survives the journey? That's a big deal.

Do you expect to return to Quebec? If so and your bass isn't all that valuable, maybe it's more cost-smart and less hassle to buy an bass in France till you return.

Good luck!

3. bass12

bass12 Basking Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Where is it being stored and who is responsible for the storage space? You must have made some concrete arrangements when leaving your bass behind regarding logistics, no? The most difficult part is probably going to be finding someone who will actually ship your bass for you, followed by getting a box suitable for shipping.

For shipping I would probably just use Canada Post, with FedEx being my second choice (FedEx will be more expensive, though probably faster). Not sure of the cost as rates have increased over the past year but I would probably expect between $150 and $200 CAD (just a guess).

4. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Is this bass something rare/irreplaceable that you must hang on to?

If not, why not sell it in Quebec as you intended? Buy something comparable in France if you need it.

On topic, I shipped a high-end dobro from Canada to England several years ago. The buyer and I negotiated cost and method and ended up settling on shipping by sea using Canada Post -> Royal Mail. Cost $160 CAD and took six weeks to arrive. I'll admit that I was biting my nails for several weeks while it was en route. It arrived unscathed and the buyer was beyond happy. Shipping by air was double the cost (at the time).

Where is the school located? Maybe a TB'er local to the school can assist retrieving it for you.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  5. I've shipped a few things from USA to UK and find FedEx is fast and reliable.

I had to pay tax and duties on it and it was easy process with FedEx. All done electronically.

UPS was a nightmare in UK.

6. akjn

akjn

Jun 30, 2019
    Thanks for replying everyone !

I forgot to mention what bass it is; it's a G&L Tribute L-2000. Kinda a mid-range bass, but it would still be nice to have it back.

The bass is stored in a storage area in the school, which is located at Matane, Quebec. I'm in touch with one of the employee out there, who will give the bass to whatever company I chose.

I checked out the price on FedEx, and holy poopie that's expensive, I paid this bass 650$CA and the shipping is round that price range.

Also, I really don't mind if the bass is shipped in 6 months (I know it won't be that long but you get the idea), all I want is make sure I get it back, as I probably won't go back to Canada anytime soon as the Covid is still around

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  7. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    The one time I sold a bass to someone in France, I carefully packed it in its hard case, wrapped the case in contractor's bags sealed with adhesive tape to prevent any water ingress, and then packed it into a heavy cardboard carton, with the case surrounded by layers of styrofoam insulation I purchased and cut specifically to fit the package. It ended up being just under the 108" length + girth limit for international shipping via USPS Priority Mail International, which was vastly cheaper (about 1/3rd the price) than UPS. The bass arrived safe and sound, and the buyer was thrilled, because it was a Music Man StingRay for which he just paid US prices instead of European (grossly inflated), plus shipping. The shipping was not cheap, but it still represented a huge savings for him.

You should check with Canada Post as to their limitations for international package shipping.

8. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Honestly, I'd cut my losses and sell it in Quebec. Not like Tribute L-2000s are rare or anything. Unless there's a sentimental attachment, of course.

Otherwise, you're looking at the Canada Post sea shipping option - more economical but will take time. But sounds like you're OK with that. Should be easy for your contact in Matane to pack it up and bring it to the post office.

If you DO ship by courier (not by Canada Post), be aware that you might also be on the hook for customs brokers fees - charged by the courier - on top of the shipping costs. I've been stung a few times by that in the past. Fees vary, but could be upwards of $100 in excess of the shipping cost.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  9. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    I have done tons of shipping from Quebec. I do believe a bass is just a bit too long and Canada Post won't ship it if its in a case. Even if they do, its going to be at least 250-300$.
    Maybe ship it Canada post with the neck off??
    Forget Fedex or UPS. You will pay them their 500$ and then...surprise surprise! Brokerage fees!
    Good luck!

DirtDog and devnulljp like this.
  10. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Canada Post is your cheapest option, but it's quite expensive.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  11. akjn

akjn

Jun 30, 2019
    I really can't sell it at Quebec, I'm in France right now and I don't plan to head back to Canada anytime soon (especially with Covid).

I'm gonna look at the Canada Post option and let you guys know

12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Canada Post is the cheapest option. If you want the bass tracked and signed for, it has to go with priority (or whatever they call air freight). Otherwise, the bass goes by boat and takes 30-45 days to arrive. I sent a bass to Spain, it was $400+. Mind you, I send it priority. I think the low end was $170~. This was years ago though, it will be more expensive now. I have never to France but the amp I send was not cheap. I would expect it to be a similar cost.

13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Your box was too large. It is a very tight margin but it is definitely do-able.

bass12 likes this.
  14. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    That is possible. It was a bass in a hard case and I was over the length by a few inches. But, I would worry if I shipped it and there was no padding on the ends.

15. bass12

bass12 Basking Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Regarding brokerage fees: both FedEx and UPS will charge them but in my experience UPS charges significantly more.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021