Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ship to canada?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gizmoz, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Gizmoz

Gizmoz

Mar 10, 2003
    anyone know any good music shop on the internet who ship in canada?

2. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    well, if you ask them to, they will more than likely all ship to Canada. I have not bought a lot from music stores in the US, but I have inquired about a lot from all the popular plasses (bass nw, gc, murch, other places I cant think of right now) and they have all always been willing to ship to Canada. Now trying to convince them to send whatever it is you are buying as a "gift" or "worth 100 dollars", is another story. Usually they want to insure whatever it is they are shipping, so they must give the real value.. this leeds to you having to pay stupid duty fees (nafta is bogus!.).. however, someone here once said that they had to pay duty fees but no tax, so it balanced eachother out.

3. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    why get from the states when the difference will shipping and customs will cost you the difference you're saving.

stores in canada that you should try are steve's music - stevesmusic.com, club bass (haven't had experience with these guys) - clubbass.ca, long & mcquade - look their website up on yahoo or somthin', music stop (if you're on the east cost) - musicstop.com.

what are you looking or anyways?

4. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    This may help. There are many , many sources you can get to ship basses to Canada. Any of the boutique guys will - as will the major bass shops who deal on the web (eg: Bass Northwest and Bass Central). The 15% GST and PST ( Ontario) will be charged by Canada Customs but there is no import duty on Basses. U.S. exchange is whatever it is (as it would be if you bought directly in the U.S.).Shipping to Canada may be a higher too.

As for the comment about Steves and L&M - they are ok if you're looking for low or mid price basses. Lots of Fender and Music Man etc. But if you're looking for something high end forget it.

L&M in downtown Toronto has a decent selection of Modulus but even their other Toronto area stores
    don't have much Mod stock. If you're looking for Sadowsky,MTD, F Bass,Ken Smith, Lakland etc, etc L&M and Stev'es don't have it. F Bass is ironic in that the F Bass manufacturing shop is about a 40 minute drive from L&M downtown but try and find a new F Bass anywhere in Ontario.(You can buy from George Furlinetto directly though.

Club Bass, conversely, has a small stock of excellent high end basses....but no low/mid stuff.

So the moral of the story is - if you're thinking high end you will have to look to the U.S. for any kind of selection.

5. In most cases, you can save a great deal by ordering from the States. My best example was with my PRS guitar - the thing would've cost me 3800 canadian tomatoes + 15% tax = $4370. I got it from www.davesguitar.com, in Wisconsin, for exactly 3800 canadian tomatoes, shipping and duty (thank you NAFTA) included.

6. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    so NAFTA actually helps sometimes? does NAFTA only apply to a bass made in the USA? would I have to pay duty fees if I bought a MIJ fender from the USA?
    I have bought stuff from people in the states before, and they insured it and gave the true value.. I went to pick these items up and had to pay duty. I believe it was a motherboard and CPU.. why would one have to pay duty fees on computer parts but not on a $4000.00 bass?

sorry for changing the subject! ;) (eh, at least I'm not getting into conpiracy.. "the truth behind the <i>real</i> <b>N</b>orth <b>A</b>merican <b>F</b>ree <b>T</b>rade <b>A</b>greement")

<b>sorry again</b> :(

bebop

7. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo
    I find Dave at Club Bass to respond quickly & completely to either email or phone. He knows his stuff & he loves bass. L&M is the Canadian analog to "Guitar Center" - has its place, but can't be compared to a bass only boutique dealer like Club Bass.

BTW, Club Bass has a Mid-priced line - Lakland Skyline.

I often buy used in the USA, or new brands I can't get here. Some US stores can't sell certain brands up here because of distribution agreements - so you'll see that they will sell CDNs certain items & not others.

8. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    yeah, Steve seems super helpful... wish I still had a job!

SMASH, you have PM.

Bebop