1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shipped head and cab, now they sound distorted?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SonofJud, May 22, 2012.

1. SonofJud

SonofJud

Dec 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    I don't have more than one pair of head and cab so I'm going to a musical instrument store to see which of the two is causing the problem. Gah :meh:. How can I prevent this from happening in the future?

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    More info needed

3. SonofJud

SonofJud

Dec 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    They were both shipped in the same box, with lots of peanuts and bubble wrap around each. Neither showed physical damage. However, when I plugged in it sounds very distorted-although volume is still there. My other amp works fine with the same bass and cable combo so it has to be the head/cab combo that is messed up.

4. right...

we need to know what head, and what cab you shipped. Is it a tube head? is it a solid state head? what kind of cab is it?

5. SonofJud

SonofJud

Dec 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Head is Thunderfunk 750 A (solid state). Cab is Bergatino 210.

6. still not enough info to even guess - just send it back and get a refund

7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    What is your other amp?

8. SonofJud

SonofJud

Dec 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Other amp is SWR LA 15 combo

9. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    could be a wire inside the cab is now touching a speaker, or there are peanuts stuck to the inside if the speaker.

10. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    This happened to me once. A cab I won on Ebay was literally packed in peanuts, that were pretty well crushed to crumbs by the time it got to me. I had to take the drivers out and vacuum the whole thing before I got rid of all the rattles and buzzes. Bubble wrap and double boxed is the way to go for just about anything. Still, you are at the mercy of UPS/Fedex workers having bad days.

11. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Just playing devil's advocate, but if this was newly sent to you...how do you know it worked fine before?

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Were either of the items wrapped in plastic or otherwise to keep out the peanuts?

13. A thought that struck me was a 700 odd watt amplifier pushing a 2x10. Possibly you are expecting too much from a little 2x10.

14. Y'all need to read the "how to ship an amp" sticky in the amps classifieds. Peanuts, bubblewrap, might as well be rice krispys.

15. SonofJud

SonofJud

Dec 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    It worked before, I've owned them for several years. I was moving and shipped it.

16. SonofJud

SonofJud

Dec 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Both were bubblewrapped to keep them separate from the peanuts.

17. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    If the "volume" seems ok it's most likely the cab. I would take the head into a local music store and "try out" a cab or two and see what it sounds like. It will be educational, you will most likely diagnose which part is at fault and you'll meet some new people.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    This is what I was thinking, too. Make no mistake...a 210 is not a super heavy duty cab. If you can get 200w worth of power into one without it distorting, you're doing very well.

19. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Just a guess----- the package was dropped for 3, 4, or 5 feet or more.

One or both of the magnets shifted on the frame.

Remove the speakers and check to see if the magnets appear to be off center.

Good luck.

john m

20. Then my comment does not apply. Test each of the drivers by gently pushing in around the centre dome. If you detect any unusual resistance or rubbing then your drivers will need to be replaced or re-coned.