1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shipped strings on TB-240SC

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by kd5uwl, Jul 7, 2012.

1. kd5uwl

kd5uwl

Jun 7, 2012
    I have a 2011 Takamine TB-240SC acoustic bass I bought new. I love the piano sound the strings it shipped with provide ... the open A in particular sounds just like the same A on my piano.

With strings being so expensive it's hard to just try something different .. if I don't like them then I'm almost stuck with them for a while.

There was a tag that came with the bass saying it was strung with D'Addario EXP strings, but it's no more specific than that. From what I've read EXP stands for Extended Play.

So I have a couple of questions:

- Any idea what specific (model? Part number?) these strings are?
    - I'm assuming if they are marketed as "extended play" then there is probably also some compromise .. like tone? Or playability? Finger noise? Or something?
    - Do you have suggestions for different strings for this bass that have the piano-like tone?

Here is the tag:

image-1800544876.

I don't know this to be true, but I've wondered if these might be:

D'Addario EXPPBB170
    Coated Phosphor Bronze 45-100

Any help and answers to my questions above would be appreciated ... thanks in advance ... I'm a newbie ..

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    There is only one four string phosphor bronze exp set. They most likely are not reds. The EXPBB set is most likely what they are.

They last longer than uncoated and have less finger noise as they are slicker.

You can always give the uncoated a shot!