Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

shipping a bass from NY

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by bowguy, Mar 11, 2006.

1. bowguy

bowguy

Jul 20, 2005
    NAshville, TN
    Hello. I have an aquaintence that has purchased a bass from an individual in the NYC area. I was wondering if you guys had any advice on who would, for a fee of course, be willing to pack and ship it to Alabama. Thanks in advance.

2. Kam

Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    You could maybe find a really good domestic courier that delivers interstate. Definetely NOT UPS. I deal with them at my day job and they cannot keep from destroying packages. If it were me, I would drive it myself.

3. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    I would call the local bass dealers in the metro NY area. Kolstein, Gage, Merchant. I am sure one of them would be kind enough to help you out.

4. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    Chris-

I've had good luck with R&L Trucking. Have it crated up nicely packed in a wooden crate or a strong box by someone who knows what they are doing, or better yet rent a bass trunk. They only deliver to/from businesses or you can go to their station.

Ike

5. normharper

normharper

Mar 12, 2006
    SHIPPING FROM nyc

iN sEPT OF 05, i HAD A bASS cRETED BY cRATERS AND sHIPPERS IN THE bRONX 718 405 5000.

For a fee, they picked it up from Bill Merchants shop in lower Manhatan. Ther usual job is packing valuable antiques and art, so they did a great job building a bass crate. I think the crate was $250.00 and the pickup fee was $50.00. Shipping was by a common trucker, but they delivered to my home in South West Florida on schedule and with no problem.
    Normharper

6. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Fedex Freight does a great job and their rates are very competitive.