1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

shipping a bass from NY

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by bowguy, Mar 11, 2006.

1. bowguy

bowguy

Jul 20, 2005
    NAshville, TN
    Hello. I have an aquaintence that has purchased a bass from an individual in the NYC area. I was wondering if you guys had any advice on who would, for a fee of course, be willing to pack and ship it to Alabama. Thanks in advance.

2. Kam

Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    You could maybe find a really good domestic courier that delivers interstate. Definetely NOT UPS. I deal with them at my day job and they cannot keep from destroying packages. If it were me, I would drive it myself.

3. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    I would call the local bass dealers in the metro NY area. Kolstein, Gage, Merchant. I am sure one of them would be kind enough to help you out.

4. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    Chris-

I've had good luck with R&L Trucking. Have it crated up nicely packed in a wooden crate or a strong box by someone who knows what they are doing, or better yet rent a bass trunk. They only deliver to/from businesses or you can go to their station.

Ike

5. normharper

normharper

Mar 12, 2006
    SHIPPING FROM nyc

iN sEPT OF 05, i HAD A bASS cRETED BY cRATERS AND sHIPPERS IN THE bRONX 718 405 5000.

For a fee, they picked it up from Bill Merchants shop in lower Manhatan. Ther usual job is packing valuable antiques and art, so they did a great job building a bass crate. I think the crate was $250.00 and the pickup fee was $50.00. Shipping was by a common trucker, but they delivered to my home in South West Florida on schedule and with no problem.
    Normharper

6. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Fedex Freight does a great job and their rates are very competitive.