1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shipping a bass from US to Aus...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by XxBassPlayerxX, Sep 4, 2008.

1. XxBassPlayerxX

XxBassPlayerxX

Mar 25, 2007
    So I'm shipping my Warwick Corvette 5-string to Australia (Brisbane, 4123) from St. Louis, Missouri 63103 (only to make room for a new wick!) but this stuff is crazy expensive.

In your experience, what's the best carrier to use and about how much will that end up costing? (The vette is 11.5 lbs, no case)

2. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    If its a bolt-on the cheapest is to unscrew the neck and use a smaller box. The problem is that Aus Post won't deal with packages longer than 40" so you need to go to a courrier company for anything longer and these guys charge a crapload of money.

3. XxBassPlayerxX

XxBassPlayerxX

Mar 25, 2007
    If I unscrew the neck, it should come in to be right at 40", right?

4. jcarruth20

jcarruth20

Aug 29, 2008
    Western Australia
    Brubaker / Tec Amp / Pavel / R.COCCO / Mono Bag
    i reckon you wuold be paying around the $200 USd mark with UPS and littel bit more for Fed Ex.

5. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    If you unscrew the neck and go through usps it will cost around the US$80 mark. If you don't unscrew the neck they wont accept it. If you want it to go through whole use FED-ex or UPS, you will be looking at US$150+, if they accept it.

If the value you fill in on the usps shipping form is for more than AUD$1000 you will have to pay import taxes (gst and stuff).

Best thing is to seperate the neck and body and bubble wrap them well, even place the body in a good padded gig bag or something similar. Double box them. Keep the value under US$850 on the con note. And get it insured. PM me if you have any questions.

6. Left Left Goose

Left Left Goose Banned

Aug 19, 2008
    buyer pays shipping right? :D

7. Well I just got a G&L 2000 on trades forum from USA and I am in Australia.

USPS charged $100 with insurance.
    Seller also checked with UPS and their price was $350 with neck taken off, or $400 for bass in one piece. Talking about ridiculous.

8. XxBassPlayerxX

XxBassPlayerxX

Mar 25, 2007
    It seems USPS is the way to go!

Thanks for the detailed help, slaerts. I'll be headed to USPS on Monday to get this baby wrapped up!

9. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    If they are like they are here in Australia they will charge on volume rather than weight. So the smaller the boxes dimensions the cheaper it will be, it may be worth bearing in mind when you select your boxes.

10. I agree with the methodology...you can ship a whole bass via FED-Ex...
    I had a bass sent to Western Aus from NC in 2004...it was a neckthrough and cost $200 via Fed-Ex...

I sent two basses (necks removed) to Queensland in a suitcase...that cost $3K (oh yeah, I flew back and forth with them ;) )

11. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    NEVER use FED-EX for International Shipping!

They release the package without the receiver paying duties... then they send the SHIPPER the bill when the receiver doesnt pay it... You wont find out for months and months though!

I got screwed out of $1900 once that way!!!!!

12. Maybe you had a bad one, but I had to pay the customs/duties on my Fedex shipment before it was released. They called me and told me the fee, and I paid it, then they sent it out. Easy.

13. And yes, Fedex and UPS, you'll be looking at $400+ USD. That's what my last bass cost. Total crap but oh well. Last year you could ship USPS for $100!!!

14. USPS will not accept a full sized bass, as of 12th May this year. Policies have changed for importing into Australia.

15. Damn that sucks. USPS are awesome when it comes to shipping, I've had about 5 things sent over via them and I've had the items within a week.

Love your signature dude v. funny :p

16. Yeah USPS are great, except for that.

It's funny cause it's true :D