shipping a bass, help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jake_tim, Nov 2, 2005.

1. jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    well, i may be selling one of my basses, but i dont really know what i should do to pack it. i dont have the box it came in, maybe a double box with bubble wrap or somthing? i am also selling a 30 watt amp, so its small, i figured i could double box that with some bubble wrap too. is this right, or should i do somthign else?

P.S. i WOUDL sell it here on TB, but no one would want it, its a rogue lx200b, not the greatest basses ever made. Also, shoudl i untension the strings before shipping, or just leave it tuned?

2. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Go to your local music store....they are always throwing out instrument boxes. I got one once from Sam Ash for a bass I sold on Ebay.
  3. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    I always use an old gigbag when I ship a bass and then put that in a cardboard box. So good. If you dont have a gigbag, I would bubblewrap the bass before putting it in a cardboard box. Put plenty of newspaper as well!
  4. For $35, UPS will pack it for you. You can add that to the price of the bass or you can split it with the buyer.

If you need to pack it on its own, bubble wrap will work fine then cardboard and then bubble wrap again. Shipping material can be expensive. You may end up for a lousey $35 having it profesionally packed.
  5. Guitar Center can give you a box for free. make sure yo go around noon, that is when shipments arrive and you can get one with no problem!
  6. truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    you should always but lots of support around the headstock and supports under the neck. Also double box is the best method, make sure that the bass is secure and will not move during packing. now there is a debate between shipping stuff in tune and strings loose. i won't get inot that
  7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I have successfully shipped lots of instruments (my eBay feedback is over 400 at 100% positive). Here's what I do: loosen the strings a little (not all the way); slide a length of bubble wrap between the strings and the neck and p/ups; wrap the neck in at least 4 layers of bubble wrap and the body in at least 3 layers; get a box from GC or you can also get a "large mirror box" from a moving-supply place, and cut/fold it to meet your needs; fold a few layers of bubble wrap into the bottom of the box; slide the bass in, and put in a couple more pieces of wrap in alongside the neck to keep it from moving; and top off with another few layers of wrap folded over the top. That much bubble wrap won't always fit in a GC bass box- the most important thing is to make sure that (a) the bass won't move around in the box, and (b) that when the box gets dropped onto the floor from a few feet up, there is at least some bubble wrap between the box and the bass no matter how the box hits the ground. Take extra care to be sure the headstock is well-protected. Good luck!