1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shipping a bass to Europe - Specifically London, UK

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ustabawannab, Nov 29, 2006.

1. ustabawannab

ustabawannab Caesar's palace, morning glory, silly human race. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Greenfield, WI.
    The store I purchased my Ric from is getting in a Fireglo. I posted my Jetglo here in the classified area but had to withdraw it because the Fireglo was delayed with no ETA. When it does show I'm going to repost.

While it was there, I recieved inquires regarding shipping to London. I did a little research and found I could ship it UPS Worldwide Express Plus for $287.

Benefits :
    • Free UPS On-Call PickupSM for shipments originating in the U.S.
    • Door-to-door service with in-house customs clearance
    • Up to three delivery attempts with proactive confirmation of delivery

Is it worth using their in-house customs? Another question. Do I have to worry about the VAT or is that the buyers problem?

This would be good info if I want to give the option to ship "over there".

2. JDGA fan

JDGA fan

Oct 9, 2003
    NC
    The VAT and import duty will be the buyer's problem, not yours. I would have thought that would also apply to any "in-house" customs fee charged by the courier as well, which would just be added to the VAT/import duty bill given to the buyer when he signs for the bass. The buyer would have the option of handling the customs clearance himself to avoid paying the fee, but it's enough of a pain that I doubt they would want to do that.

3. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    +1. I've used FedEx (to Greece) and they overcharged me unbelievably for in-house customs etc, but it was my problem, not the seller's. I had better luck with USPS, as they are using the greek national postal service who did the customs job for free and all I had to pay for was import duty (around 25% of total price for Greece btw). Just make sure that you inform the buyer of all that, or he may possibly get angry with you if he hasn't considered about all these upcharges.

4. ustabawannab

ustabawannab Caesar's palace, morning glory, silly human race. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Greenfield, WI.
    Thank you. Good point. Maybe I should just state all shipping is the responsibility of the buyer, just tell me where to drop it off. I'll let them research the costs. Heck if I figured it out, they could. We B players are pretty sharp.;)