1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shipping a bass to Norway from the US

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DrewinHouston, Apr 11, 2010.

1. DrewinHouston

DrewinHouston Not currently practicing Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Disclosure: I am not a great bass player
    I offered to ship a bass to Norway, I am having some difficulty finding a reasonable method. I estimated the package will be 30lbs and 54"x24"x8", wrapping the HSC in bubble wrap and putting it inside a cardboard box. Online estimates from DHL and FedEx are both around $500. USPS won't ship it, they say it's too big, although elsewhere on their site they say they'll ship up to 60" long. I'm going to take it to the UPS store tomorrow to see if they can help.

Any suggestions? I have seen several posts on guitar forums that say they have shipped guitars for $100-$200.

Thanks!

2. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    Eagle Global Logistics....EGL.
    I've shipped basses to Europe and refrigerator sized road cases around North America without problems and for around half what UPS or Fedex charges when I've dropped off to one of their offices at an international airportand the receiver could pick it up at an airport. Door to door of course costs more but can be done.
    http://www.eaglegl.com/

3. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    USPS is so quirky sometimes.... take it to a different post office and see what they say. Sometimes it comes down to individual clerks and their opinions.

4. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    Is it a neckthrough bass? If not, just detach the neck, pack them well and loose HSC.

5. DrewinHouston

DrewinHouston Not currently practicing Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Disclosure: I am not a great bass player
    Thanks for your suggestions, guys! It has a hardshell case that is very nice, that was part of the deal, so detaching the neck won't help. I'll take a look at EGL.

I got the USPS info from online, they won't ship anything longer than 46" (depending on the delivery method).