Shipping a Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by I-Love-Ratm, Mar 25, 2005.

1. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Hey all

Before any of you guys say it I've searched this and haven't been directly answered!What I'm wondering is if I put my Bass on Ebay and I must ship can I just put it in a Gig Bag and send it away?Or must I get a big box and pack it?

2. ((ZASDER))

Feb 26, 2005
    Buffalo NY
    YOu might want to put it i na box with some bubble wrap. If you just put it in a gig bag do you really think its going to get to its location?
  3. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Do *not* just put it in a gig bag and send it off. If you want the bass to get there, and in one piece, there's a lot that ya gotta do:
    Go to your local music store and ask them for a box. Make sure you have a couple of inches on every side of the gigbag for bubble wrap and extra padding. I've been taking to double boxing even. Music stores will gladly give you boxes, as you're helping them get rid of them, and it's no cost to you - why wouldn't you do it?
    Pad around the gig bag, but also pad INSIDE it! Put a very soft blanket/towels in there to help protect it, but make sure they're soft enough to not scratch it!
    A topic that you can't get people to agree on, but I always detune 1/2 step when I ship, just to take a little tension off the neck and such. Some people do, some don't.
    Lastly, use an excessive amount of tape on the box... you just spent money on all the filling and such, why not spend $1 and make sure it doesn't open up? Tape all sides, corners and openings.
    That's about it as far as shipping goes for me...

4. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    There is the option of having it professionally packed too. It is very costly though. I sold a bass on e-bay, and I was leaving town but wanted to ship it before I left, so I took it to the ups store and had them pack it. It's alot less hassle, but to have them pack and ship a bass, you can expect to pay at least $50.
  5. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    I always put the gig bag into a box....either a guitar box, or the equivalent... like a bicycle box. The smaller the box the cheaper the shipping so I guess you should try and get a guitar box. I usually put bubble wrap around the gigbag and then crushed newspaper into every section of the box that doesn't have bass sitting in it!

Good point about the packing tape. Tape that sucker water tight. That way you know it isn't going to open.
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I have to argue this one. Please, do NOT let the UPS store or any sort of agency pack and ship your bass, because they do not know HOW to ship a bass. For instance: I sold my Stingray not too long ago, pop some bubblewrap behind the headstock, and take it to the UPS store because I hadn't a big enough box nor the time to pack and ship it. First thing the guy does is tries to stuff it diagonally into a golf-bag box, and it was too tight, and I told him not to do it. He estimated $20 for packing and $22 to ship, and he charged my card and I left. Turns out the clown packed it right back into that golf box with no protection and ships it diagonally, with no padding. Luckily the bass was only going across the state, so it only had to survive a day of being unsafe. It arrived with merely a cracked corner of the case.

BUT, long story short, I will NEVER let UPS Store ship a bass, except for one. The previous owner of my local store was a huge time bass player, he knew exactly how to pack them safely, even kept extra boxes in the back just for me.
  7. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    well like alot of things in this world, it is hit and miss. My store had boxes made for guitars. He wrapped the gigbag with bubble wrap, and then filled in the whole box with packing peanuts. The buyer said the bass arrived in pristine condition.

I'm not by any means recommeding using the ups store to ship a bass, It just worked for me due to time considerations, and they did a fine job. But that's just my experience.