Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shipping a bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by crikker, Mar 30, 2005.

1. crikker

crikker Yooper From Way Back Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    UP
    How do you ship a bass? If I was selling a bass, and I had a gig bag only, how would I wrap it so I could cut down on the damage? Just put it in the gig bag and then box it? Seems to be the only way. Having never bought a mail order bass, I have no idea how to do it.

Same with an amp. I did buy this one I have now and it pretty much came wrapped in brown paper. It was wrapped with a few layers but that was it.
    :confused:

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Three words: do. a. search. Honestly, this is discussed an insane amount... I know a thread has to be on this within the first 5 pages.

Ray

3. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    Gig bag it, fill in the rest with packing peanuts, you don't want it floating around in the box or getting smashed. Shippers require 2-3" of foam all around for insurance, so keep that in mind if it's expensive and worth insuring.

4. crikker

Sep 25, 2004
    UP

Three words. Thanks a lot. I didn't go back far enough (9 pages) and I just did and found a post that you had done. Don't care for the attitude I got from your post but you did get me the answer I needed.

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Stick around, soon enough you'll learn 99% of my posts are 100% sarcastic ;).

Ray :D

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have found it beneficial to put pillows in the box when I pack a bass. You can go to a Goodwill type store and buy a couple pillows for around $1 each. You could also use a blanket purchased from the same store for a couple bucks.

-Mike

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Dude, the pillow you sent with the Spector was rad. It's hanging from my ceiling... :p

Ray

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I stole that from my daughters bedroom. She knew it was gone as soon as she walked in the room though. I had to get her another one. :)

-Mike

9. crikker

Sep 25, 2004
    UP
    Sorry. Just a bit grumpy yesterday. Thanks again for the info.

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    We all have our days. Like me, today, cos I have a ---- calc test and I don't want to take it... grrrr

Ray

11. When I bought a bass on the internet, the guy who sold it to me just wrapped cardboard around the case (a Roscoe ultralight - not the most roadworthy case eve made) and sent it. Then to top it off, he didn't get a proof of delivery from UPS so there it was in the middle of the winter in Minnesota sitting there on the doorstep when I got home. :spit: on that guy.

I've shipped a couple. detune thte strings a bit, put bubble wrap or a cloth between the strings and the body, put the case or gig bag in a box with plenty of peanuts , wrap it with more box tape than you really need, and ship it *insured*. Make sure your box is stuffed tight with peanuts, or else the bass can flop around a bit.

FYI if you take it to the UPS Store, be prepared to pay throught the nose for insurance. If you can, ship it through your work or take it directly to a UPS or Fedex shipping desk right at the hub.

If you do have trouble with the shipment, it is the shippers responsibility to make the claim. Have the recipient take picture immediately. It helped my claim quite a bit.