Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shipping a bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Usul, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Just wondering what is the best/safest method of packaging an instrument for shipment via UPS,FedEx,etc.

The bass in question has no case so I need to pack her up nice and sturdy.Wondering if I could go to someplace like Mailboxes Etc. and get what I need for decent a go of it.Also what is the usual cost of shipping a bass?I know it can vary depending on distance,priority,etc. but just a ballpark figure would be nice.I generally see $25.00-$35.00 listed on ebay for shipping costs.

Thanks in advace!
    :)

2. Flambeu

Flambeu

Apr 14, 2000
    Israel
    Usul,

You can check the shipping price at their websites. I know it costs almost 300$ to ship a bass from the US to Israel, but I doubt it helps you much :D
    Personally, I'd suggest trying getting a case for the bass and adding it to the deal, as it gives the best protection.

3. Mailboxes Etc. will charge you $30 or more just to pack the thing. Then (I find) they charge double the normal UPS shipping.

4. Usul, when I got my Jack Casady, it was in its normal factory box, and then that box was put into a slightly bigger box with tons of that squiggley styrafoam stuff as padding, so it was pretty well protected. If you don't have a case just make sure the neck is well supported, and pack it assuming that someone is going to drop it. Farmerdude is correct about mailboxes; they're very convenient, and very expensive. You can call your local UPS branch and arrange for them to pick it up, or to save even more, drop it off at their office. IMHO, you can never pack something too well.

Good luck,
    Mike J.

5. Mailboxes Etc. does tend to charge you a lot... but they do a REALLY good job. Otherwise just wrap the bass it self in some buble wrap and put it in a large box with a bunch of popcorn stuff.