1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shipping a bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mofo-Kang, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Okay, I must be doing something wrong. A bass in a gig bag, shipped UPS, for over $100? I don't think I've ever paid more than $50 for a bass I've won on Ebay before. Is it significantly cheaper to take it to the post office or the UPS depot itself instead of to one of those postal convinence stores or whatever?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, not sure where it'd be more appropriate.

2. Need2KnowBasses

Need2KnowBasses

Aug 30, 2010
    Did you have them package it for you? If so that is the majority of your expense. I ship basses that I package myself via FedEx and with pick up I usually pay no more than $45.

3. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Actually, I did have them pack it for me... I didn't have any boxes, and just dropped off the bass in the gig bag. He said it was $25 for the packing materials, which seems steep for a cardboard box, but I wasn't going to argue with him since he was going to bubble wrap it and put it in there for me. LOL
    Yeah, next time I'll definitely try something else...

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If they went to a UPS store, they not only paid for packaging, labor and materials, but the UPS store also marked UP the cost of shipping about 20%.

Moral: wrong way to ship.

5. Muaguana

Muaguana

Jul 28, 2009
    Hardshell case, double boxed, shipped FedEx (packaged by the mail store guy since I had to get it sent out ASAP), insured. $125 total, and I sold the bass for $400.:eek: But it arrived safe and sound and the new owner was happy, so for my first bass sale, that's more than I can ask for.

6. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    I went to "The UPS Store" yesterday. They wanted $18 for a "guitar" box and $12 for packaging materials. Then said it would cost $80 to ground ship it from the east coast to the west coast. My company has a UPS account and a truck comes by for daily pickups. I did a shipping estimate online and shipping itself was only $40. Apparently there's a large mark up at those stores.

7. neurotictim

neurotictim Gold Supporting Member

Wow, where are you guys going? I hit up the local mom 'n pop for boxes (if I don't have any) and it costs me $10. Packing materials from Office Max (assuming I have none, which is usually not true) costs me another $30 or so, but shipping from the FedEx place usually only costs $40, MAX.

I shipped a bass to Australia for something like $125 total, but usually it costs me less than $50, since I have the materials.

Find a FedEx hub near you - not a franchised shipping store - and it'll be considerably cheaper.