Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shipping a Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Deynn, Oct 31, 2000.

1. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Well after MANY successful transactions in shipping AND receiving basses....My luck finally ran out and I had one damaged. Unfortuantely, this was a bass I shipped to a member here at Talkbass. I had insurance on it and hopefully...can get it all settled quickly. But this has really soured me on doing any more internet deals.
    I was just wondering about any experiences some of you might have had, with sending, or receiving damaged goods.
    By the way...this was shipped via the US Postal Service...
    which up until now...ahd always done an excellent job.

2. Deynn, sorry to hear about that. I've done a lot of shipping and receiving, and never had any problems with damaged goods. I've also never used the USPS. My most recent experience was sending my bass to Carl Thompson. He insisted that I send it FedEx overnight (and he did the same back to me) because he said he doesn't like instruments bouncing around on a truck for 4 or 5 days. This made sense to me. The only advice I can give you, and I'm sure you know this already, is pack the bass up tight! When I shipped my bass to Carl, I encased the headstock in bubble wrap, and wrapped the bass in a towel, then inside a gig bag. It was very snug in there. I put two towels at the bottom of the cardboard box, put the bass inside, and then filled it with as much popcorn as I could fit. If the bass has a lot of shock-absorbing material on all sides of it, it should come through shipping OK.

3. DaveTomasi

DaveTomasi Gold Supporting Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Baltimore, Maryland
    It's a shame that your bass was damaged in shipment. Now, your customer is pissed, and you have a damaged bass and considerable aggravation for your trouble.

During the past year, I have both shipped and received items (basses and other musical gear) across the country. When I ship, I use UPS exclusively, and in each instance, my customer received the merchandise on time and in good shape. On the other hand, I have received items from both UPS and USPS. The items I got via UPS were never damaged while items received from USPS were either damaged or the packaging was so damaged that it was a miracle that the items were not. Needless to say, I would never send anything of value through the USPS.

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    There is no such thing as too much bubble wrap! ;)