1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

shipping a bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hernameisrio, Jan 9, 2012.

1. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Sep 27, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    I did find a thread on here about it that was very helpful. I'm gonna go to Guitar Center today and get a box. But I'm a little unclear as to whether I should slightly detune the strings or not. What's the verdict? Thanks in advance, guys!
    p.s. Yeah, I sold my Ibanez SB900. I'll miss her, but I've been tight on money lately and I need to pay my friend back for the Cirrus, so, yeah...I know she will continue to make another bass player very happy as well. :D

2. dougazbass

dougazbass Supporting Member

May 6, 2011
    Mesa, AZ
    Yes. Loosen the strings.

3. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Sep 27, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    But not completely detuned, right? I always thought it was better to keep some tension on the neck...

4. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I never understood about loosening the strings for shipping. There is a balance between the tension of the strings and the trussrod. If you loosen the strings, you disrupt the balance (unless you loosen the trussrod, too), and are inviting more problems. If the instrument is packed properly, there isn't a logical reason to loosen the strings. As far as I've ever seen, every manufacturer ships out their instruments with tension on the trussrod and the strings in tune (or at least pretty close).

5. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Sep 27, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    Yeah, it makes sense...aw, I think I'm just putting off having to pack her up and send her off... :sniffle: They grow up so fast! :p

6. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I don't detune the strings, puts unnecessary strain on the neck when the truss rod suddenly has no string tension to counter it.

If I ship a bass with the neck off I'll slack the rod a bit.

7. RickeyC

RickeyC

Jan 17, 2011
    Arkansas
    I shipped my Spector Euro to Italy and did NOT loosen the strings. It arrived fine. I did put a little cloth between the string and the neck/frets to keep them from rubbing the whole way..

It's all about the packaging. The more the better..

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space CA
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Be sure to have a few inches of bubble wrap all around the case.

9. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Do not detune the strings. It does nothing but put weird strain on the neck. I've shipped close to 20 basses now and have never had an issue.

10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Do not detune the strings.

11. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Fender does not detune their instruments when they ship them, nor do I. Neither one of us has any trouble doing it that way.

12. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I've shipped about 30 basses, maybe more and never loosened the strings. Always arrived in fine shape. I mean, I never loosen them when I'm not playing the bass, why would I during shipping? I've received several factory new basses as well, and none of those ever arrived with loosened strings.

13. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

A cloth under the strings will protect the frets from any impact.
    I also cut up another large carton and and put the pieces inside to make sure that there are at least 2 layers of cardboard over the front and back of the instrument. This is ESPECIALLY important if you are shipping in a gig bag.