Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shipping a Cabinet

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LonghornBass, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Hey all,
    I am looking to sell my 4x10 cab and going the ebay route. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with shipping such a large and heavy object. What carrier/shipper did you use? What kind of box did you put it in and how do I pack it? I'm clueless... Any experience/advice would be appreciated.

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I shipped a Carvin 410 about six or seven months ago. Cost from Missouri to Ohio was about $60.

You'll need to ship it in box big enough to pad around it. Especially the corners. Be careful though, as the package is approaching the maximum size UPS will handle. SO don't use too big a box. I suggest stopping by your local music store and asking them to give you a 410 box.

Unless you are in the middle of nowhere, I would suggest first to list it at any available local websites and maybe even your local newspaper. IME, the very high shipping cost forces down the maximum bids that buyers are willing to place. I would at least try it first.

Chas

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I just shipped one last week. I was fortunate that I had the box from a different 4x10 that I had just purchased mail order.

The box had an extra inch of space all around, with styrofoam corner bumpers.

You might want to consider taking it to a Mailboxes Etc. type place and have them pack it for you. Probably wrap it in heavy bubble wrap, then "create" a box around it by taping cardboard sides to it.

Be sure to purchase the extra UPS insurance.