1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Shipping a Drum Kit

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by justinb515, Dec 9, 2006.

1. justinb515

justinb515

May 23, 2006
    Metropolis,IL
    Anyone ever shipped an entire drum kit? The drums come with soft cases, but the hardware doesn't come with any cases. I think I have a large enough box and plenty of packing peanuts, but I've never shipped a drum kit before, and wondered if anyone had any tips.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yep. Ship each drum in its own individual box. Make sure each box is rigid, not flexy. You can "rigidify" a box by doubling its thickness with extra cardboard cut to fit the inside walls. Make sure none of the lugs butt up against the walls of the box- be sure to put padding around all of the lugs. Fail to do that, and one good drop can wreck the drum shell. The only way to get around shipping each drum individually is if the drums only have one head, and they nest together like a telescope, with enough room in between them for padding around all the lugs. For the hardware, use bubble wrap instead of peanuts, otherwise the hardware can shift around and punch through the box. Good luck!

3. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I've shipped a couple.

Some advice:
    - Don't use peanuts. DO. NOT. USE. PEANUTS. They are obnoxious and next to useless for anything that isn't lightweight anyway, but with drums they are downright awful. Use 1/2" or 1" bubble wrap, and use a lot of it.

- The most important thing to protect is the bearing edge. That's the thing that the drum head rests against. Ship the drums with heads on if you have to (the rims will do a decent job protecting them).

- If the shell sizes are far enough apart, you can get away with taking the hoops and heads off of each drum, wrapping each drum in bubble wrap (especially the edges), and nesting the shells. This is quite safe if you do it right and will save a lot of money.

- Insure for a grand or better, ideally for the cost of buying a new kit if something happens.

- Shipping each drum in a separate box is how the big companies do it, and it remains the best way to ship. Do this if you can swing it.