shipping a tube amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MascisMan, Jul 17, 2004.

1. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Is there a best way to do this? I want to do my best not to have any of the tubes get damaged. Should I open up the back and put some padding inbetween the tubes? what about padding in the box? whats the best way?
  2. Would it be possible to take out the tubes and package them separately?
  3. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I guess that is a possibility. its a self biasing amp so it shouldnt be a problem reinstalling them. What do you guys that sell SVT's, Mesa 400+, etc do?
  4. BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    As long as you preserve any matching of pairs you should be fine. You can buy tube boxes at Antique Electronics. Just take out the tubes and ship them in a box with lots of bubble wrap around the individual tube boxes.
  5. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    On the subject of self biasing amps... should there be hum and buzz when you first replace the tubes? That happened on my Strategy 400 for an hour or so, but the next day it was fine. This only happened to channel B.

By the way, my Strategy 400 was shipped to me with all of the tubes in place. It came with a TON of packing material in a huge box, but it arrived ok.
  6. BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    New Fender tube amps are shipped upside-down. The continuous vibrations of being trucked tend to loosen tubes but being upside down aleviates the problem.
  7. Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    That's what I would do!

I would definitely unmount the tubes and pack them carefully in a box. Perhaps with "bubbleplast" wrapped around.

You just can't be to carefull :meh:
  8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I've numbered the tube and socket with a Sharpie, wrapped each tube in a thin foam sheet, packed the tubes in a small box and pad that enough so that it doesn't flop around inside the amp cabinet.

I cover the amp in brown paper, then build a box for it. That gets surrounded in 2 in. rigid styrofoam (Home Depot) and then I build a custom box for the whole thing.

My custom boxes are just used boxes that I break down, turn inside out and cut to fit the styrofoam perfectly.

Seems to work well for me, and yes, it takes a long time to do all that.

Have fun!!!